Mares

freya_5

Visit site
Hi, I really need advise and experiences from people. I have a TB x Chesnut mare on trail at the moment, she's only 5 but lovely natured and done quite alot. She came into season immediately and my gelding broke into her field, they get on fine but she is such a tart! She's been in season for 3 weeks now and is nasty in the stable towards me, she crys to him alot when I take him away which is only natural. She seems to be ok to ride but i lunged her with him about 10m away the other day and she was a looney. I have never had a mare before!! So not really sure what to do/ expect? Should just stick to geldings but she is lovely for the majority of the time! Please please help and give me some ideas, I have her on trail untill after xmas.
Thank you all <font color="purple"> </font> <font color="purple"> </font>

Madam_max

Visit site
Hmmm. Difficult some mares require a lot of tact. My mare can be the very clingy when her hormones take over. You need to be firm but kind. You could try a supplement to keep her under control. If you really want to perservere with her it may be worth speaking to the vet if she is constantly in season. My mare is on Regumate and she is the biggest tart going.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Some mares are like that when they're in season. PF used to get very attached to geldings when she was turned out with them and used to call out like mad, but now she has different turnout companions she's not so bad. She also bucks and rears and chucks herself around on the lunge but doesn't under saddle. Ever.
Your mare might be playing up more because she' in a new environment, and this might also be why she's being nasty to you; testing you to see how far she can get.
There are supplements like Valerian and other products you can get such as regumate which help with 'stroppy mare syndrome' but if she's not your mare this isn't your decision to make (yet) is it? Soooo, I would give her a bit more time to see if she settles and if not then you'll have to decide at the end of the trial period whether you can handle the moodiness, or if you're willing to try supplements to improve the situation (these are very often expensive!)

filly190

Visit site
From experience I have always kept mares, when I have accepted a gedling livery it has caused me nothing but trouble. My mares were in session all the time, the fencing got broke and the crying, squealing etc drove me mad.

I have had about 5 different gedlings and the same result each time. (seperate fields)

I now have mares and mares only and they are fine, I dont even notice when they are in session and have no trouble with them at all.

This is only my personal experience and many people keep the same sexes together very well.

Kelly1982

Visit site
If you haven't had her long i would say she is still unsettled.

My mare is also a TBx 4yo chestnut mare i she has only just started to settle after 5 months
shocked.gif

When i got her she was a nightmare, she was fine ridden but when i lunged her she went beserk charging around and neighing for the other horses. You couldn't seperate her from them as she would kick the stable down (had to be re-built 3 times) and foam with sweat. Tying up was a no no as she would just pull back and gallop back to the others. She was just a complete psycho and i couldn't believe what i had brought.

Now she is the quietest horse on the yard and she is excellent to do in all ways. She has also settled into a routine and can be seperated from the others although she still keeps looking out for them unless i am on her.

I think you just need to let her settle in a bit more and get into a routine and i am sure she will be fine. HOw long have you got her on trial for though?? Like i say my mare is only just settling after 5 months.

freya_5

Visit site
I am hoping that it is just because she is still setlling in, i've got her untill after christmas but may see if I can have her a bit longer if she hasn't settled down by then. It's hard to decide if you want to take it all on isn't it!? But as you've all said they can be so loyal. I just don't want to be stuck with a mare who hates me, loves geldings and I can't sell if it all goes wrong!! She's got huge potential though, so I guess I may have to be tough and work through it! I was thinking about supplements and speaking to my vet, madam_max sounds like a good plan. I am reluctant to put her on anything while I have her on trail (mainly cus she's not mine) but also I don't want to disguise her true colours as I'm having to decide whether to buy her or not! I may try and spilt her up ffrom the gelding, but that may cause me even more trouble!!

Eliza120280

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Also, how do I change my name from stranger!!?? I feel like a.. well a stranger!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked the same question a while back - it automatically changes when you have made so many posts, cant remember how many though!!!
laugh.gif

siennamum

Visit site
I would expect her to get over feeling lustful &amp; silly after a few weeks, so stick in there. Hopefully she'll hate them in a week or so and you'll get some peace.
I much prefer mares to geldings, but think there are some big misconceptions about them. The main one is that they require more careful handling.
I think mares generally get on better with men, (SOO many German men ride mares) because they stand no nonsense - I think mares need much clearer boundaries, and you'll find she responds better to you being firm with her. Don't mean beating etc. but make it clear what the ground rules are rather than falling into the trap of faffing with her because 'shes a mare'.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I think as long as she is not too much of a handful for you and is everything else that you want ridden wise then her moodiness etc you can sort out later.

I had another mare who was a complete b*tch when we got her, she literally tried to kill you with legs and teeth. Once she had settled and we got the bond she was the most loving and affectionate horse ever!! She still hated my friend though but was fine with me.

There is that old saying you can tell a gelding but you have to ask a mare and believe me i had to compramise with my old mare but once we understood each other it was all good.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
We bought our mare as an unbroken 4 year old, and she was an angel to break, and very steady ... but the hormones took over when we moved livery, and she took a really long time to settle, was incredibly anxious and nappy to ride away from the stables when she was in season, a total tart with the geldings in the next field, and could sometimes be a real b**** to lead in from the field. She became known as The Diva! We found that the supplement with Valerian (can't remember the name now) actually made a big difference to her - the only thing is that you can't use if if you are competing, 'cos its a banned substance.
That's the negative story - the positive one is that she has become a complete delight : very bright, very clear opinions about what she wants to do/not do ("tell a gelding, ask a mare"), very loving and loyal and affectionate, and once she built trust in her rider, a star XC. So I would definitely see if you can extend the trial, but also think carefully about whether you have the patience to stick with her, try different approaches, and get her to a point where the hormones are at least manageable! Good luck - I think its a case of "mares, you love 'em or loathe 'em"!

Madam_max

Visit site
Exactly. That's what I was trying to say. They really do need to know where those boundaries are. I do think you have to be a lot firmer with a mare, if I pussy footed around Corroy she would walk all over me.

freya_5

Visit site
I had a feeling that would be why!! Are you strict with your mares, I alway been told to ask a mare rather than tell her. Whats the view on this? She'll scowl nastily at me in the stable and has gone to bite me a couple of times, my reaction with a gelding would be to growl and push their head away. Not sure how powering I can be with this mare! She is getting better as she's settled into her feeding routine. You can tie her up in the stable and sort her rug out, no probs! It's when food is involved! I'm beginning to understand how men feel with us woman sometimes now!!
smile.gif

Doublethyme

Visit site
Firstly, I love mares, would not have anything else, however, if she is coming into season now in the winter with your gelding, she is very likely to be a nightmare come the spring/summer when they are usually much worse.

This isn't something that would prevent me from keeping a mare, but it is something to think about. She does sound like a particularly marish mare and you will have to accept that sometimes she is going to be difficult.

I've never had a problem with my mare (had her 7 years) till this year when we had brood mares and foals on the yard (right the other side of the place to my mare though), plus a couple of hormonal geldings. She came into season religiously through out the spring/summer/autumn every three weeks - you get used to dealing with them when they are a bit tetchy and hormonal, but it is a big consideration when buying a mare, particulary if you have to keep her with your gelding. I tried this with my sister's boy one summer and it was a nightmare from start to finish. My mare is now kept at a larger yard with separate mare/gelding grazing which works much better - they aren't right next to each other and are separately by at least a couple of foot of no-mans land. Even then we get fencing walking/calling etc in the height of the season.

bandit

Visit site
well, i am kind of with you - in the same situation really...

bought a mare who arrived in Sept, and she was really poor looking so fed her loads of build up, and without knowing she had an undiscovered foot problem. she'd come in season in a day, and be really moody. then she got very bucky and landed me in hospital. luckily nothign broken. she went lame shortly after so discovered the foot problem so hoping that and the feeding led to her bucking. she's going to be ridden for hte first time this w/end - EEK!!! i've got her on calmers now, but regumate isn't far from my mind, although my bank balance may not like it!

hope you do get on, but it is taking a while for me!!!

Bx

Madam_max

Visit site
I would ignore her when she pulls faces. Yes I am firm with my mare, but you certainly couldn't bully her. They are very intelligent, but they do need to look to you as a leader as some are good at making their own decisions (if that makes any sense).

freya_5

Visit site
Yes, the summer is what i'm worried about. Unless she has come into season due to excitment and new surroundings? Her owner kept her with 4 other geldingds and said she's never had a problem, i do trust the owner as obviously she's let me have the mare on trail. She said she's always been protective over her food but not that bothered by the geldings. This is making me hope it's just her settling in.

freya_5

Visit site
Good luck bandit, I hope she goes ok and I hope you have recovered. A great calming supplement is the NAF Magic I had it for my previous gelding who was a worrier and naughty! It worked a dream just calmed him down a bit. What foot problem did she have?

Doublethyme

Visit site
Yes it could well just be settling in difficulties, suppose depends how long the trial is, as to whether you will be able to tell. The other thing is has your gelding ever shown any hormonal tendencies and interest in mares? My mare can ignore some geldings like they don't exist even when in season, but there are a few which set her off at any time.

[ QUOTE ]
They are very intelligent, but they do need to look to you as a leader as some are good at making their own decisions (if that makes any sense).

[/ QUOTE ] Absolutely spot on - my mare definitely will make her own decisions if I don't make my plans clear and direct - even then she'll like to argue sometimes as to whose plan is best!!
laugh.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
Mares take longer to settle than geldings, but once you have bonded with a mare, they are great. If you like her to ride, it is worth persevering but you have to remember that they are "entire". The old saying "tell a gelding, ask a mare and discuss things with a stallion" is very true. I have two mares and two geldings who are all turned out together with no problem. When I was looking for a horse to buy this year, I particularly wanted a mare as I think once they have settled, they tend to look after you better than a gelding - just my opinion!

bandit

Visit site
hi - i put her on the Magic, and when that ran out, she went on 'anxicalm' and was mad again, so we're back to Magic....

think a week out in her field will also help.

she had rotation of pedal bone in front feet. new farrier v confident she'll be OK, she's sound now, and she'll just be shod by new farrier for ever! old farrier i htink helped her go lame in first instance.

evsj

Visit site
don't forget that she is entire as in like a stallion - there is alot more instinct to deal with than you get with geldings.

she will probably settle, give her time and keep asking the forum/others for advice when you need it. There are loads of mare fans here and I for one prefer them.

good luck
smile.gif

suebingham

Visit site
Mostly over the years, I've had mares and while most have really "liked the boys", I can honestly say that as embarrassing and slutty they may behaved in the field, they've not been problematic under saddle. Give her a swat if she nips -- I don't know your mare but that might be dominance more than hormones. My current mare tried nipping when she was about two but we just had to sort out who was the "lead' mare and who wasn't. Now that's behind us and she's fine. Although come spring, she'll be talking trash to any gelding or stud that'll listen.
blush.gif

charlie900

Visit site
I have the exact same thing with my mare (also chesnut tbx) evry time a new horse comes along ,just till she shows them whos boss.. She could well be in season through the change my girl came into season when i moved a new gelding in to next field last month , she squirted so much she made herself sore all down the back legs .the vet had to sedate her to clean it up as she was so touchy for a while . She got over it in a couple of weeks now they are out together. Mares can de great even chesnuts give her time

Stella

Visit site
The line between being firm with a mare and being too dominant is one that should be taken care over! Its is important to ask a mare, as you would with your riding aids i.e., you ask, not tell, but that doesn't mean you will allow them to decide (I hope that makes sense). Because they are entire, they are more sensitive than geldings, certainly more sensitive to your body language, so be mindful of that e.g. when she shows you her teeth in the stable, don't back off. If possible you need to get her to the stage where she accepts you as 'lead mare' (a quiet rather than aggressive leader), until you get that, she will keep 'asking you' if she can make decisions. Once she accepts that you are in charge (lead mare), she can relax and trust you to make safe decisions.

When I got my mare, she settled down when I did some ground work with her (a kind of Kelly Marks, Parelli, Richard Maxwell combo!). It was quite amuzing because she looked genuinely shocked to begin with, then intrigued, then she just got on board with it. That was nearly 3 years ago and we have never looked back! Admittedly, she is a sensible, easy natured girl, but I'd expect some sort of decent result from that appraoch anyway.

Also, I agree with the other poster who said that if you like her to ride, the rest should come together for you.

God luck with her
smile.gif

ladylisa

Visit site
When i first got my mare, we had a few ponies in the field also, she bonded so well with the little 2 year old filly and would herd her around the field away from the other horses and sometime from me!

freya_5

Visit site
Thank you all so much, you've all been so helpful. She was better with me this morning actually as she tried to nip me when i chaned her hay net late last night, I think she was a bit shocked when before she got to me I had tapped her on the nose. This morning she was really quiet with me, so I think I will have to try and gentley become lead mare like you have all suggested. I may also break her and the gelding up for a bit and spend time with her. Having her on trail is ideal, but I never used to hear of people offering it, however lately I know several people that have got horses on trail!