Market for a 13.2 Native

Jayzee

Visit site
I have a rough idea of the market at the moment but would just like some other opinions on what the rough ballpark figure would be for a 13.2hh 10-year-old highland mare.

Pony in question is a traditional type dun highland (stockier type) but well bred. She was shown as a yearling successfully. Sound as a pound and lovely to handle, a people person. But she has doen very littel in way of education, been backed as a 6 year old had about a year of light work then turn away again. With a bit of time put in could be really nice riding pony or broodmare possibly (hasn't had any foals).

I would like some thoughts on if there is a market for the type of pony of if she would benefit from a couple of months of work before being put on the market. I feel at the moment if I was the buyer I wouldnt pay more that 1000 max, is there a market for this type of pony?. I want to do her justice so you like ideas on the best option, or rough current price.

Thanks

be positive

Visit site
There is a market but the most likely buyer will be an adult looking for a ready made pony they can ride safely in most situations, it doesn't need to be schooled beyond the basics of being mannerly, forward and go up and down through the paces in an easy way but it does need to hack alone, in company without hotting up or being too spooky, it should be as good in traffic as possible.
All this is doable within a couple of months if the basics were in place properly when in work before she should come back and find a good home for a sensible price, now she is probably unlikely to sell for more than £800 or so, with some work under her belt so she can be tried properly and sold as a good sensible hack I would double that at least and would start at around £2k your area will have some influence on the price attainable.

CMcC

Visit site
I think there would be a market for a nice looking dun highland, even if she has little experience. I would think more than £1000, maybe 2,000.

But I am a succour for a native pony, trying to collect the full set!

shirl62

Visit site
As I am looking for a pony that size I would want it as .be positive said to have schooling at least the basics.

Shirl

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
As is, I’d advertise for £2K but expect £1800 or so, if brought back into work and 2/3 months of schooling - I’d market her at £3000. Hard to say for sure without pics/breeding but there’s always a demand for quality highlands.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
As a dun highland mare, her value will come from that over any of her education to be honest. So the better her education, the better the price, but she will always have a good base price anyway being what she is.

be positive

Visit site
As I am looking for a pony that size I would want it as .be positive said to have schooling at least the basics.

Shirl

I had you in mind when I read the OP, she could suit you very well.

I don't think a pony with such limited ridden experience that is now 10 will achieve in excess of £1k unless it is really quality and has a show record, the market just isn't there for her as she is, if really nice she may be worth nearer £3k but there is no point in raising the hopes of the OP when in reality the mare is unfit, not been ridden for a couple of years and her best market is someone looking to be able to try a pony not buy out of the field as a project.

SO1

Visit site
If she has not been ridden for three years then I don't think her value is going to be that high unless she has a good show record or very sought after breeding.

Dun Highlands are in fashion for those that like showing and as a mare with good blood lines you might get interest as a brood mare.

If you can get her out to some affiliated in hand shows then you will get a better idea of what her value may be.

The sort of person who has the skills to restart her perhaps would tend to go for a youngster rather than an older pony so if you can get her hacking out at least then you would have more choice of people.

Jayzee

Visit site
Thank you for all the replies

Be positive - thats the sort of lines I was thinking along

I may start her again and then advertise - I'm also aware that putting some work into her may mean that she would be 'ready' coming into the winter months again which may make it harder to sell

be positive

Visit site
I would get her ready to sell within 2 months, I have taken on plenty over the years and 6-8 weeks is more than enough as long as you don't encounter unexpected issues, once you get going on a fitness plan the rest falls into place as you go, she doesn't need to be super fit, some simple hacking with schooling done at the same time will get her up and ready by mid June which is a good time to sell and the ideal time to buy as the days are long so there is time to get riding before winter slows everything down.

rara007

Visit site
Would she be an asset to a stud? I literally don’t know highland breeding to know. Otherwise yes the market is a bit limited tbh! Even brought on it’ll be quite a niche she’s filling. I say this as the owner of 4 13-14hh ponies! She’s not a show pony (need affiliated ridden results) yet too heavy and green for most ‘kids’ things. Is she a good hack?

Equi

Visit site

Exactly. In the right circle she will be worth much more than just the general market. Same for minis..could sell mine for £50 and just about get them sold...but in the mini market they are worth vastly more due to lines, papers and genuine interest in the breed. For a breed thats not so flooded, its the circle you sell to not the public.

Jayzee

Visit site
Would she be an asset to a stud? I literally don’t know highland breeding to know. Otherwise yes the market is a bit limited tbh! Even brought on it’ll be quite a niche she’s filling. I say this as the owner of 4 13-14hh ponies! She’s not a show pony (need affiliated ridden results) yet too heavy and green for most ‘kids’ things. Is she a good hack?

She hasn't been ridden in a couple of years but did do soem hacking very sweetly when she was in work so would have thought she would be absouletly fine just needs some work

Rollin

Visit site
Breeding matters too. I know the market has changed but Ballinton Stud who bred BOB at HOYS and Supreme M&M champion at HOYS used to sell young stock for £3,500. A bit taller though 14h-14.2hh.

Finlib

Visit site
Where abouts are you she sounds just what I am looking for I have ridden all my life backed and broken my own T/B Arabs Anglo and Andalusian bred and brought on foals but now in my mid 60" s will start looking for something smaller and native type to gently back around the local hills probably when the 2_retired oldies go 30 and 26.Kept at home on 24/7 turn out open barn for shelter .Even fancy breeding one more foal maybe !!!!!!!!!

tda

Visit site
I have a small 13.2h dales pony, even tho they are capable of carrying an adult, many adults will not entertain anything less than 15h.

I'd advertise her breeding and hope for a breeding home

shirl62

Visit site
I have a small 13.2h dales pony, even tho they are capable of carrying an adult, many adults will not entertain anything less than 15h.

I'd advertise her breeding and hope for a breeding home

When your an adult 4' 10'' perfect!...lol

Shirl

Ruby's Mum

Visit site

There's a market for under 15hh for adult Western homes (not everyone wants a quarter horse. Lots of smaller stocky natives working Western in the UK). OP, I agree with bepositive, get her working again and 6-8 weeks hacking and some basic schooling and get her up for sale. I'd be surprised if you had any issues selling her, from what I've seen Highlands sell so quickly (I was looking for one and everything was selling fast, even with limited work put into them!). She sounds lovely btw.

gallopingby

Visit site
As a registered Highland she's a Mountain & Moorland. Natives these days tend to be coloured cobs! If you advertise her in the right place - Highland Pony Society or M&M FB pages you should get some interest. You will of course get whatever someone is prepared to pay, but there aren't many highlands for sale at the moment, most of the M&Ms except Connies and Welsh are on the Rare Breeds endangered list as far fewer being bred, and good ones sell quickly. I'd get her up and running and then advertise. If she's quiet to ride, easy to handle and responsive I'd expect her to be advertised for upwards of £2500. If she's a show record or exceptional breeding then a bit more. a 13.2hh M&M will easily take up the leg and be suitable for an adult or teenager to have a lot of fun with.
I agree - this forum isn't the correct place to ask about Highlands, its not breed specific!

Last edited:

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I would definitely suggest having a look at the highland pony group on FB, if she is nicely bred she will be worth more to a highland home

windand rain

Visit site
As a rare breed mare if she has the right bloodlines she will be valued as a broodmare at over £2000, as a ridden pony up to double that fewer than 200 foals were registered last year I think. They will be a very rare commodity in a few years. She sounds lovely and I am sure the price is how long is a piece of string 18 years ago I was offered £25,000 for my PUK winning worker who was kind enough to carry a four year old child around the carpark at PUK summer finals. She was only 6 and just starting out jumping. So it is all relative a kind pony will sell easily they do live a long time too usually sound and happy into their 20s so her age shouldnt be against her