Market Harborough - opinions

Frazer

Visit site
I have seen a lot more people use these than before, and it seems to be increasing. Does anyone use one? because of a certain problem? Or just because you wanted to try it out? They seem to be a cross between draw reins and a martingale which I could really do with sometimes (Hate having draw reins aswell as normal reins) ?? Any opinions?

Louby

Visit site
Used correctly I think they are a valuble asset but someone on our yard uses one constantly to hack in and it has deffinately altered her horses walk. He sort of runs in walk in an odd almost lame gait with his head and neck low to avoid the action of it.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Suspect you are seeing more of this gadget as a result of fad/fashion, these things go in phases, just like the Abbott Davis balance rein is making a reappearance.

IMO opinion the Market Harborough can be useful BUT, like any of the gadgets, you do need to be able to use your legs correctly to ride the horse forward into it.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have used them in the past to assist with schooling or in the case of one of my very strong TBs, to give me brakes when hunting or doing small XC fences. I have also used them jumping up to 2'6 - again to avoid having to use a strong bit on my long necked TBs.

They are more idiot proof than draw reins, but like all gadgets need to be used correctly.

I used to occasionally hack on them but they should not be used all the time.

Rambo

Visit site
I use one on one of mine. He is a very short necked horse and so a running martingale has no effect. His standard evasion tactic is to bring his head up and back. The MH encourages him to lower his head and stretch forward a bit more. You do need to make sure that you work the horse from behind though, otherwise they will do no good.

In the right hands, and used on the right setting (i.e Not too tight), they are a very useful aid, but like anything, if used incorrectly they will only do half the job, and could cause as many problems as they appear to solve.

They were very 'fashionable' back in the 80's, but I have to admit, I haven't seen too many people using them recently (except me of course lol!).

miss_bird

Visit site
I love my MH and still bring it out to use now and again, when one of my mare's gets very strong i leave her snaffle on and put on the mh, with my legs pushing her on she comes into a outline without the struggle to shoot off up the road first, after a couple of rides in it it goes back to the dusty draw for a while

rcm_73

Visit site
I have used one for about 12 months on my mare who was very ewe necked when I bought her. I occasionally hack out in a running martingale but she can still bring her head up and back and is a long necked TB. I think used correctly they are a useful thing to have. Look them up in books or on the web for the correct use, I studied their effect and correct adjustments etc before actually putting it on the horse. The most common mistake I see is people that put them on too tight. Your normal rein should always come into play before the harborough, if you've got a kink in your rein near the bit then the harborough's too tight.