Market Research please - Sales Livery Pro's and Con's

nzeventer

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone – this is just for market research purposes only. A very good friend of mine has set up a business in Reigate, Surrey and needs your help and advice. He normally sells the higher calibre of sports horses very successfully but lately he is being asked more and more for the general allround horse in the lower price-bracket.

Are you selling a horse (or have you recently) – are you struggling with time to answer emails/calls about it, get photos and video made/sent out, to wait for clients who don’t show up, and get out horse schooled and fit for sale? Do you lack monthly outgoings to invest more into selling him? Read on……Because of the nature of the business he is contacted a lot by owners wishing to looking into sending a horse on sales livery.

There are lots of pros, your horse gets fit, turned out immaculately for clients, receive top care, ridden by experienced sympathetic riders and also presented to clients professionally. He is also able to compete the horse whilst in his care to gain more experience and achieve a better price for the horse. The yard is beautiful and has superb facilities inc gallops and XC fences. He is desperately needing some allrounders to join the team as most of the clients looking to buy are looking in the up to 7k mark and he is always short of that type of horse – why?? My guess is that they look after their horses on DIY and cannot afford £130 pw livery.

However all this comes at a price, and he is in business, however a lot of the owners who have been contacting him are struggling in the slow horse market – things are going well for him with competition horses, but I think there is a lot of allrounders for sale, and that extra something his business adds is enough to sell the horses on the yard.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and she said it was people like her “the Average horse owner” who needed that professional help he offers, but didn’t have the £100+ a week to put into a sales livery as it simply wasn’t there, even if the horse was sold for ££££ more, wages and income wouldn’t cover livery.

So we thought about a new sales livery package aimed at people with average PC/RC types? Do you think it would be a service people would take up and be interested in?
He aims to offer an “express” sales livery. He will offer reduced livery which will literally just cover feed/hay and essentials, and not overheads like stable, staff wages, etc. In return he agrees a “sale” price with the owner, Say an RC type – owner wants horse sold in a month-six weeks and needs £3k to buy next horse. He will take that horse for sales livery at the basics rate to cover straight livery at a rate of £65 per week. Anything over and above the agreed rate he keeps – i.e., owner agrees that she wants £3k in her hand for horse when sold (after livery paid) – anything over that figure he gets to keep. The aim would be to school the horse and aim the horse at the riding club market at an affordable price.

This service will be available for horses valued at say under £5500. This I think covers most of the allrounders.
He will need horses to be vetted prior to coming to the yard to minimise risk to both parties. And also something in writing to say if horse is removed before the initial agreed period of sales livery is up (so say 10 weeks) then he is reimbursed at the full rate normally charged £130 odd a week.

If you were an owner struggling to sell your horse what would help you? Would this offer be something you would like to consider? Could you afford the £65 a week, and would you be happy with the £anything over X amount he keeps” (which will be agreed beforehand).

His aim would be to get the horse sold as soon as possible, and the quicker it sells the less he can ask for it He is going to trial this with the above friends horse (we have already started) and so far its working, there is a lot of interest in her horse because he is cheaper than what he normally sells but is a good horse.

So guys, what should he offer? Is it feasible, and would you be interested if you were selling?

I’d be grateful if you could all look at his web site Team Downs and he is welcoming feedback as to how he could improve the site.

perenzo

Visit site
Hiya, my horse is currently at a yard on sales livery the price is 50.00 per week plus 10% commission. To be honest and frank a lot of people and yards are now offering this service to clients, but many are not marketing the horse correctly. Good luck with the new venture and i hope everything goes well for you

nzeventer

New User
Visit site
Hi and thanks for your reply.

That's where we have the experience and the web site to promote the horses correctly and match them to the right owner. We have a purpose built yard and excellent trial facilities to suit all types of horse. All the horses here are produced properly with excellent selection of photos for clients to browse through and in 9/10 cases we also have videos to show clients when they arrive.

We are also planning to offer a facility where we can video the client on the horse when trialing the horse that they can take away if the horse is of serious interest.

We believe to be successful you need to be honest and open about each horse and be able to recognize a good match.

Thanks for the comment though. Keep em coming please.

ihatework

Visit site
Oh okay, thats weird though, a week ago I looked on the coldicote website and was planning on possibly coming and viewing some horses, a few days later a completely new name but exactly the same horses for sale.
I just assumed coldicote had changed its name
confused.gif