marquis supergrip,old mac or boa??

juliecleo

New User
Visit site
ive been told buy my farrier to use some boots instead of having her shod from now on because my horse gets far to stressed when been shod.
so what i would like to know is which ones are the best? i would like to know everything good or bad about them.
thank you julie xx
confused.gif

Jemayni

Visit site
I had huge problems with my horses feet not being able to hold shoes at this point last year. So under advice, I took his shoes off & invested in a pair of Old Mac boots; from the research I did at the time, I would suggest that these are the best to use as I spoke to many people that had issues with the Boa boots breaking. However, upon trying the old mac boots they just didnt work for me - initially I had problems because my horse was frightened of them (and if your horse has a problem with having its feet handled - you to may have this problem.) Then once I eventually got him used to them I just couldnt get on with them; I felt they effected his movement (as a dressage horse this was a key factor) and they never felt safe enough to event or hunt in. Therefore at christmas time he went barefoot & after a few teething problems he has been perfect ever since. So, basically I wouldnt recommend any but would recommend going barefoot!

juliecleo

New User
Visit site
thank you jemayni,
i would go bare foot but all my hacking is on roads so she would have no toe left? the boots will only be used for hacking and wont be used for turnout. xx

kerilli

Visit site
after a lot of deliberation, i went for the marquis supergrip. i like the idea that you inflate the bags at the heels to make them tight enough, couldn't see how this could do any damage.
had to buy the insoles because my lad's got slightly collapsed heels and the boots moved sideways a little the first few times (didn't worry the horse at all, and he's a spooky prat usually), they just spun about an inch one way or the other. once i fitted the insoles, no more movement, as long as i inflate them enough (the airbags need to be pretty firm.)
very easy to fit once you've done it a few times.
the sound of the air going in and out didn't worry the horse at all (and he's a wb ninny!)
i've hacked and cantered in mine, and he did a huge unrequested jump over a puddle once at canter, and the boots didn't move. have ridden in deep mud too, no movement, based on which, i'd happily do more in them.
i liked the fact that everything's replaceable, so the initial outlay may be steep but i'll never have to buy another whole boot... unlike the other makes.

Diggerdog

Visit site
I use Easyboot Epics for both of mine. They always stay put, have never rubbed, and are easy to put on, once you have the knack.

Have a look at www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk. They will hire boots out to you to try before you buy. They are also really helpful about which style of boots will suit the shape of your horse's feet.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I use Boas so thats not going to help the choosing !!

They have never broken or slipped in 18 mths. The only time theyve rubbed a little (at the front where the tightening dial is) is when I have been through a stream and then through deep gravelly mud. Ive done all paces in them,

I use them in summer on hard ground, in winter even with flat feet and little growth my girlie manages without so long as I let her choose the best ground.

good luck whichever you go for

custard

Visit site
Another vote for Old macs. Have done pleasure rides, jumped and all sorts in them. If you are intending to go barefoot in the longer term boots will help make the transition. Often there are lightly used ones on ebay.

hussar

Visit site
A vote for Boas. I've used them both as emergency shoes and for turnout with abscess - they're easy to put on/take off, they haven't broken, they don't rub (mind you, I always put an old sock on underneath) and they stay put at all paces.

Abbeygale

Visit site
I'm with Diggerdog - I use the Easyboot epics too - and have found them a hundred times better than the old macs I used before. Would definitely recommend them and thesaddleryshop.co.uk - they are really quick and offer a great service.