Marvellous March?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Fab Feb was fun.... but I am a bit skint now so will be having a month off expensive off-site clinics. But I did have a jumping lesson yesterday at a local venue - mainly because the only way I could use their show jumps was to book a lesson there. I used an inexpensive teacher who is on livery there and does the odd lesson in her spare time. And she was FAB! Just goes to show you don't need to be a world class rider or have a million qualifications to be a great teacher.

Amber was deeply unimpressed at being taken out in a gale in freezing, horizontal rain, which was handy as we spent the first half of the lesson on a 'warm-up for psycho horses' routine. She asked loads about what had happened at A le W and said the halt-canter stuff probably wound her up and set us up in a battle. So instead I needed to warm up forward using circles, lateral work etc so I could get my leg on and direct the energy rather than getting into a fight with her.

Then she said I was overusing the inside rein so we cantered squares getting me to ride with outside aids. Then we did a few warm up jumps and she said I was either chasing her or clamping her down and I just need to be much quieter - keep my leg on, keep my hands quiet, focus on turns so i was straight.

And then we jumped a full 90-100 course twice. And Amber was awesome. RI afterwards was so encouraging too. So lets hope things are a lot better at Stafford next weekend!

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Brilliant, sounds good, really helpful to have more tools in the box

You may witness my SJ lunatic in passing some time this Summer at an event

We're at Stafford on the Sunday with said lunatic

When the madness starts to take hold, halt and walk are the worst things to try to do (unless parked up with reins dropped when waiting out a backlog), forward in trot and canter are the better ways to calm her brain rather than winding her up

She is a superstar though, so all is always forgiven :) Like yours!

The other tips sound good too and what we also work on

Will keep an eye out for you both next week as think saw you in a Sun 90 section

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Will keep an eye out for you both next week as think saw you in a Sun 90 section

Where are you finding this? Stafford isn't on BWDP and I can see my entry has been accepted on the My BE section of the website but can't see any other info???

Hope to see you Sunday!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Found it now! Is it me or is the site weirdly complicated to use? You always have to go to another site to get the info you need!