Mary King suspended for two months

JustKickOn

Visit site
As an experienced rider, she pulled up when she felt correct, at she did stop. What a shame for her, especially as she stopped anyway.

TGM

Visit site
It does sound a bit odd, but I wondered if it is was felt they would have had a dangerous fall if it wasn't for the frangible pin. I am only guessing as wasn't there and didn't see what happened!

_GG_

Visit site
Unfair, but unchangeable now. I just posted a message of support on her public facebook page are comments are disabled in that link. Bless her, too harsh IMO.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Way too harsh. With her experience she should have been given the benefit of the doubt. She was the one on the horse at the time and could feel what was going on. Using role model as a reason is just wrong.

ihatework

Visit site
Whoa!
Is there any video of MKs round at Bramham floating around?
I'd be interested to see the basis for the decision

Alec Swan

Visit site
Having read Mary's blog, I found it rather moving, considering her remarkable humility and her apparent acceptance. It's no doubt the case that had Mary stopped at the previous fence, then it may well have been argued, with reason, that she'd given up too soon and hadn't allowed a difficult horse to settle. Whether to continue or not would have been argued regardless of the outcome.

Just a suggestion, and regardless of the rights and wrongs or even the justification, this ban demonstrates one important point; At least those in authority were able to act, they weren't moved by the rather iconic presence of MK, and they acted as they thought just. Can you imagine what would have happened if it had been a Maktoum owned horse? Can you imagine any of those who administer to British Racing or Endurance events having the courage to get up on their back feet? I can't.

If nothing else we should be grateful for a committee which has a backbone.

Accepting what seems to be a rather heavy handed and even biased level of justice can't be easy, but as the lady with the tight jods says, Mary will shrug her shoulders, and she will be back.

Alec.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Whoa!

I had a hunt around on YouTube (guess who's got a day off today?) and didn't find Mary King featured. However the video of Ben Hobday's round shows that the coffin Mary pulled up at was a long way round the course. Also Ben's round is great to watch www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D-990tVVVI

Btw Ruth Edge's fall looked very scary!

Rosiefan

Visit site
FWIW I agree with Alec, rules are rules and are there to protect the horse. Given that there's no video available for all us armchair experts to look at I'm certainly not going to comment on the judgement.

popsdosh

Visit site
Quick question - have all the people saying 'too harsh' had access to the same evidence that the GJ based their decision on?
Totally agree they are the people on the ground and will have access to numerous video footage,The previous yellow card was for something not very pretty if I remember correctly. They dont just hand them out for the fun of it they are all very experienced horse riders themselves! Nobody is holier than thou and untouchable as much as everybody thinks the sun shines from them.

TGM

Visit site
I agree that those of us that were not there and/or have not seen video footage are not really in a position to judge whether this punishment was too harsh. It is good that officials are prepared to make these decisions whether the rider is high-profile or not, and it is a positive thing for rider safety and horse welfare. However, I would expect all riders to be treated the same and would not support being harsher on high-profile riders in order to 'set an example'. (Not suggesting that is the case here, by the way).

Girlracer

Visit site
They must have done it for a reason, but from her side it sounds on the harsh side.

At least she's got her daughter to take over her rides though!

Gamebird

Visit site
Whoa!

Quick question - have all the people saying 'too harsh' had access to the same evidence that the GJ based their decision on?

Totally agree they are the people on the ground and will have access to numerous video footage,The previous yellow card was for something not very pretty if I remember correctly. They dont just hand them out for the fun of it they are all very experienced horse riders themselves! Nobody is holier than thou and untouchable as much as everybody thinks the sun shines from them.

I don't know whether you can see this link, but this excellent sequence of photos shows exactly what happened at the coffin. There is an extremely steep downhill slope after the rail and I think it's fair to say that the pin did its job and prevented what might have been a nasty and possibly rotational fall. Mary's balance through is exceptional. There are balck flag alternatives to all three elements, which were well used on the day.

https://www.facebook.com/rfm.equinephotos.5/posts/318060195011085

ihatework

Visit site
Are you really saying the two incidents are comparable? Really?
One pulled up a sound horse because it wasn't jumping well, the other continued to jump an obviously very lame horse. I see no connection what so ever.

I get where Maesfen was coming from.
No the incidents are not comparable, but the comment regarding letting an experienced competitor make their own decisions possibly are comparable.

Amy Tryon was allowed to make her own call on course, and look what a massive misjudgement that was on her part.

I think MKs statement is professional to the extreme. I have no opinion on the yellow card decisions as I haven't access to the supporting evidence

amandap

Visit site
I suppose those looking from the ground don't wish to encourage pushing on with (in the words on the blog) "The horse I rode at Bramham was disappointingly strong and unruly across country."

It says a lot about her to me that she has accepted the ruling gracefully.

ihatework

Visit site
I don't know whether you can see this link, but this excellent sequence of photos shows exactly what happened at the coffin. There is an extremely steep downhill slope after the rail and I think it's fair to say that the pin did its job and prevented what might have been a nasty and possibly rotational fall. Mary's balance through is exceptional. There are balck flag alternatives to all three elements, which were well used on the day.

Yes can see those, thank you. MK did very well to stay upright there! And understandably took the decision to retire.
Was the decision to retire taken too late in her part - I haven't a clue!!

Gamebird

Visit site
Nope, me neither. The pics are slightly at odds with her description, but to be honest things often feel different from the saddle to how they look from the ground.

Girlracer

Visit site

Wow it certainly did it's job. That would have been very nasty.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm a bit sad for her. We saw them a few fences earlier and the horse looked strong and a tad green for the level, but I wouldn't have said dangerous by any means. The horse looked similar at Chatsworth too (it was the same one, wasn't it?). Lots of other top riders had falls and not great example setting moments too. If she hadn't have pulled up I could have accepted it more. Hey ho though, I guess it wasn't an easy decision for the ground jury to make and they must have had their reasons. Gutted for Mary though.

Custard Cream

Visit site
Have FJ Mary on numerous occasions (inc this years Bramham) and, being honest, she's always flirted close to the dangerous line. She's got away with it many times and if it wasn't for the FP at the coffin she'd have had a very nasty accident. Interestingly, the coffin was 2 fences after the very influential kidney ponds at 10, with the let up kennel fence inbetween (where the GJ believe she should have pulled up).

dominobrown

Visit site
Rules are rules, so if she was riding dangerously fair enough, but rules are (should!) be the same for everyone so the fact that they used the excuse she is 'high profile' is disgusting. Her profile should have nothing to do with it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
perhaps they said that more in a way that because you are experienced/high profile we can't make allowances which is slightly different but amounts to the same thing. We only have that as what she has said about it not the GJ.

Dream19

Visit site
Being she was the rider, had the feel with all her experience, I would have thought she would know what was best. I think it's an appalling decision.