Masking the horsey smell

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
How do you all mask 'the smell'?
I have to sort my horses on the way to work every morning, I look like a plonker wearing blue plastic gloves but i cant seem to get the smell of 'horse' of my hands if i don't wear them :D
I tie my hair up and wear a baseball cap but it still absolutely reeks!
Obviously change into work clothes (glamorously in the tack room) and dowse myself in body spray and perfume..

I can just smell horse all day whilst I'm sat at my desk and am conscious that everyone else can too :D

Love horses just bloomin' hate the smell haha!!

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
How do you all mask 'the smell'?
I have to sort my horses on the way to work every morning, I look like a plonker wearing blue plastic gloves but i cant seem to get the smell of 'horse' of my hands if i don't wear them :D
I tie my hair up and wear a baseball cap but it still absolutely reeks!
Obviously change into work clothes (glamorously in the tack room) and dowse myself in body spray and perfume..

I can just smell horse all day whilst I'm sat at my desk and am conscious that everyone else can too :D

Love horses just bloomin' hate the smell haha!!

My liveries come here in stable clothes to the horse they then use the common room change into their work clothes use body spray normally carry on to work and Feiss versa when I come home

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
what bedding do you use OP?
Just asking in case it's straw as that seems to be like nothing else for making things honk. I can't ever shift the smell of straw kept horses and I know OH stinks when he's been on straw yards.

asmp

Visit site
Agree it's straw bedding that makes you reek. Someone once advised wearing a shower cap over your hair!

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Ah ha, Thank you all I think you've cracked it!!
One is on straw the other on shavings... must be the straw as my previous horses have all been on shavings so didn't notice the smell so much!!

Thank you - *changes ponies bedding immediately to stop from heaving*

Clodagh

Visit site
Ah ha, Thank you all I think you've cracked it!!
One is on straw the other on shavings... must be the straw as my previous horses have all been on shavings so didn't notice the smell so much!!

Thank you - *changes ponies bedding immediately to stop from heaving*

Much the best option. Straw is lovely bedding but OMG the smell!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
The smell of horse and straw doesn't bother me in the least and never has, from being a child.

I somewhat object to the unwashed massed on the train, though, who seem to not wash for a week at a time and put on the same sweaty clothes before tucking into a breakfast of garlic sausage and red wine.

At the risk of looking like someone from BNFL, you could try wearing a paper Johnny suit.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the smells of horses and straw separate from one another are fine, KB :D It's when they get together that the stench comes out! There's something about straw that just seems to make the horse pee smell go airborne which no other bedding does IMO.

windand rain

Visit site
Shavings beds are the worst one for lingering stink in my experience especially on rubber matting in small beds. Straw less so as its usually cleaned out better and not left to stink although is depends when I mucked out (horses live out 24/7 now) straw was pennies so a lot got chucked away. Best answer is to get them out 24/7 365 days a year you never smell of horse then might get a bit wet sometimes but that is better when going to work