Masks which stay on

DressageCob

Visit site
Hello!

My horse is having an eye removed tomorrow due to an ulcer failing to recover and the cornea collapsing.

It turns out he has a problem with tear production and so the risk is if anything gets in the other eye, the same will happen again.

He has to wear a mask at all times now. I always tried to put a mask on him for turnout but either he or his friends remove it without fail.

I have tried premier equine, Lemieux, shires, Rambo, equilibrium. I’ve tried the Lycra ones and masks with ears, without ears and with or without noses.

Can anyone recommend a mask which will stay on?

Thanks

70DEC115-A5D9-49C8-AE7A-398D69473B43.jpeg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think it’s the horse rather than the mask sadly. I have several masks, several makes. Two horses keep absolutely anything on but the other gets them off in no time.
Maybe plait bits of forelock into them (need ones with forelock holes)
Sorry to hear about your horse, we had one who had an eye removed, they adapt amazingly and surprisingly quickly too xx

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Or, I was going to suggest snuggy hoods but didn’t as I don’t think they actually (weirdly) cover the eye- they have a fringe bit instead but I wonder if you bought one, cut off the fringe could you make some kind of cup shaped part out of proper fly mask fabric and stitch it on?

vmac66

Visit site
Have a look at Charlies products online. My last horse had bad eyes and wore a mask 24/7. I had the nags horse ranch one. It is stiffer than most and he very rarely got it off.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I use a Shires mask and sew on three loops that the headcollar strap then goes through. Keeps it on my horse who HATES anything on or near his ears and who will rub any mask off (but not with the loops sewn on).

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Boett hood , it has straps which attach to the boett sweetitch rug but with a bit of needlework can be made to attach to other rugs.

Nasicus

Visit site
Another one for a Boett hood, PITA to get on, but I've found that once it's on, especially with the strap that runs from the hood, down the back of the neck and clips into the rug.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Quigley needed to wear a mask all the time due to the surgical hole in his head but wasn't too reliable about keeping it on so wore a headcollar too. I didn't find any particular make better than others.