Massive Fright out Hunting today...

bandit

Visit site
I took Ludo cubbing htis morning - the meet was at our yard and he loves it... so as he's not all that fit we only stayed out a short time, but still he had some fun.

however............ i did get the fright of my life - and almost had my life taken away from me....

after a canter, we were all pulling up and the horse in front had already stopped, pulled Ludo up and as we came to a stand, the horse in front totally double barralled - hooves (both of them) up about 8 foot high - and missed my head by millimeters................... talk about frightening. then some lady says - oh i saw him waving his legs earlier... no ribbon in his tail at all and turns out its a 4 yr old on his first outing!!! suggested to man on board, perhaps he puts some red ribbon in for next time.

took a wide berth from there on in, and Ludo and I and friend on her horse had a good day and Ludo did enjoy himself!!!

What a day!!!

Bxxx

kick_On

Visit site
i hope you boll0cked the rider!!!!!!!!!!!! for not warning other riders about gg could do that
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

TGM

Visit site
Must have been a fright! I always work on the basis that a horse is a kicker unless I know otherwise and give everything a wide berth!

Kelly1982

Visit site
To be fair he might not of know how the horse was going to react if it was his first time out but totally agree that he should of had a red ribbon on as a precaution anyway. Even the best of horses can go a bit mental out hunting so its common sense really.

Glad you ok though mate and you and Ludo still had a good time.

Bet Ludo was just as shocked as you bless him
smile.gif

bandit

Visit site
from the way he reacted he seemed to be aware the horse wasn't 'safe'....

bless Ludo - he didn't even realise - it was the 2 shiny horse shoes about to make contact with my right cheek / temple that scared the sh*t out of me!!!

and frankly a horse that hasnt' been out wears a green ribbon and there were 2 with green ribbons in that were imaculately (sp) behaved... silly old man..

Bx

Kelly1982

Visit site
well in that case he should of known better (i dont know much about hunting and ribbons as you know) it doesn't take much to put a ribbon in does it??

Dont think i would take a horse like that hunting or if i did i will stay well and truley at the back.

Glad your back safe and sound though and you head is still in tact
smile.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
oh my goodness, you poor thing!

A lucky escape then, bless your horse for not batting an eyelid!

A similar thing happened to me a couple of years back, another horse tried to double barrel mine and kicked my leg instead (I was riding the horse he was aiming for), broke my bleeding leg!

Zebedee

Visit site
We always used to put a green ribbon in the tails of horses if we didn't know how they were going to react out hunting no matter how old they were. We also kept out the the way until we'd assessed their likely behavior.

Saber

Visit site
Eeek... yes red ribbons should be used more often. Though look at it from an owner of horse with a 'personality's point of view. I always put a red ribbon in my cobs tail.. he wouldn't kick but would warn... but just in case there was always the ribbon. On one occasion some b*tchy lady told me that any horse that kicks should be isolated and not go hunting at all. That was after she'd bumped right into my pony and she didn't even mention the tail ribbon. I think where ever you go there will be ignorant people on both sides of the fence. Just look after yourself, even if there is no ribbon, all horses are unpredictable.
Hope your ok... and Ludo too

Rain

S_N

Visit site
Like zebedee I have always put green ribbons in the tails of horses we weren't sure about and sometimes red ones too - just in case!! I always put a green one in my cobs tail - even though we started cubbing/hunting when he was about 9/10 yrs old - well something had to excuse his behaviour!!! We became known as a rubber ball - we liked to bounce
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
talk about giving you stitch......