MASSIVE mouth - anyone seen this?

seabiscuit

Visit site
What will it be next?! Forrest has this huge swelling in his lower gums,looks all orange/pink the swelling is spilling out at the sides and is about the size of a fist on each side of his teeth. Poor lad can hardly eat! Not sure but it seemed to blow up after he had had some Baytril ( antibiotic) syuringed into his mouth this evening. But then he was having difficulty eating this morning so maybe it had started to swell up then.

Vet does not seemd to be worried- maybe it will do down by the morning. but he cant eat very well so I am worried that this will upset his colicky stomach! Argh.Pain in the neck!

Bossanova

Visit site
Omg I have never met anyone with worse luck than you!!!
Sorry I cant help but fingers crossed it settles down and poor little boy manages to eat later
frown.gif

Up at Hoplands Friday with the baby if youre around....

seabiscuit

Visit site
LOL, I am sure that it will all blow over soon and that we are just getting through the last bit of bad luck...
wink.gif

What time are you there on Fri? Have a job interview at this racing place on at 11 ! Would be good to see Moon. What news of the Boss boy?!

Bossanova

Visit site
God I hope so, could anything else really go wrong.....??!
12pm so may miss you
frown.gif
Good luck with your interview though!
Bossy is going out on loan to someone quite soon, he's going to go live the life of luxury, be completely spoilt and fit in some sjing in his spare time!! I will have him back when I'm done with uni but cant really see him eventing again, just seems little point wasting time and money when it's not what he is enjoying.

seabiscuit

Visit site
: Will miss you am afraid! The interview is at Highclere...wont be back until after 1. Will see her at an event soon though am sure!
Sounds like a great plan for Boss...I'm glad he has found a lovely loan home!
smile.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
LOL I think we certainly do- I wonder how many holidays in the carribean theyve been able to afford this year?! Seen all their new cars too?! Lol . They should thank Correy, Owen, &Forrest for that !
wink.gif

Alibear

Visit site
Seabisuit

I have heard of Baytril having this affect on other horses so perhaps a different Anti-biotic wouldbe a good idea?

The two horses I know who have reacted to it were having it post op.

Good news is it went down once they stopped using the Baytril.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Ali- really you mean it caused exactly the same thing that I described here in the mouth?? I especially asked the vet about the Baytril and they did not seem concerned..are you sure? Argh.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Yeah I feel terrible as well cos it seems like every week I am contacting them now! Thats 2-3 years of non stop vet call outs!Poor A gets bombarded with text messages from me but she is great with it.

Madam_max

Visit site
I havn't seen A is ages. I see Kate now. Even A said to me Corroy is a medical mystery. She had swellings on her face and a swollen throat 2 years ago and A even sent the scans to Bristol and they didn't know what the hell it was!!

Alibear

Visit site
Caused the mouth / gums to swell up , can't remember her saying fist sized but she though it was abscess's for a while and was seriously panicking as the horse had been extremely poorly with Strangles and Bastard Strangles and had been operated on.

However temps were normal and swabs showed no sign of strangles present(horse was at the hospital),they stopped the baytril and the swellings all went.

Could be coincidence but her vet said it was the Baytril

However this WAS in america.

The other one was anicdotal.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Blimey- sounds like Corroy is a more bizarre horse than my two! I think it would be very interesting to get an animal communicator reading for her, that is if you believe in that kind of stuff!
wink.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thank you very much Ali- you dont know what a relief that is to have that confirmed- it must be a simple allergic reaction then. So glad if it is cos then that means that there is nothing else wrong with him!
smile.gif

Tempi

Visit site
Hiya, sorry to hear about Forrest having another problem, it does sound like a reaction to the antibiotics to me. One horse at our yard had a similar reaction a while back from the same anti-b.

Im at Hoplands saturday morning, got a lesson on one of Kays, not sure what time or on what one yet tho. Seeing her tonight so shes letting me know then. Also at Hoplands monday morning using the showjumps - got to get in some practice for the Spillars things!

aran

community.webshots.com
exactly what happened to Aran. I gave him the baytril. Made his tea, dropped it in without looking, went and got his water buckets and then realised he wasnt eatting (very bad sign). His mouth was really swollen and he had ulcers where the baytril had been. We had the vet out to give him an anti-inflammatory and stop the baytril