Massive sarcoids - your experiences?

PaulineW

Visit site
hello, looking for some feedback on the following please:

I've viewed a lovely gelding to take on loan. Ticks all the boxes BUT has lots of sarcoids. Most are small pimple types, or hairy flat ones on his neck and upper body. None in areas where tack or rider would rub them. Nothing angry looking.

Sadly he also has two massive dangly ones on his sheath and groin which concern me. While I would walk away from purchasing a horse like this, because he is offered on loan with support from the owner, and he ticks all my boxes, I am seriously considering taking him on. I will be getting a vets opinion on managing the sarcoids, however I'd be interested in feedback from other people based on 1st hand experience. Thanks.

sorry, I don't know how to add the photo.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't buy a horse with sarcoids. My youngster had to have one removed and I am suspicious now of every tiny mark on her.
But if you like this horse and the owner will pay any vet bills associated with the sarcoids, I can't see a problem with loaning him.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would take him on loan, as PaS says, on condition any bills associated with them are paid for by the owner. In order for his movement not to be disturbing them, perhaps the ones in his groin could be banded?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
hello, looking for some feedback on the following please:

I've viewed a lovely gelding to take on loan. Ticks all the boxes BUT has lots of sarcoids. Most are small pimple types, or hairy flat ones on his neck and upper body. None in areas where tack or rider would rub them. Nothing angry looking.

Sadly he also has two massive dangly ones on his sheath and groin which concern me. While I would walk away from purchasing a horse like this, because he is offered on loan with support from the owner, and he ticks all my boxes, I am seriously considering taking him on. I will be getting a vets opinion on managing the sarcoids, however I'd be interested in feedback from other people based on 1st hand experience. Thanks.

sorry, I don't know how to add the photo.

I have had horses that grew sarcoids after purchase and one before , all treated by the vet all now gone. I would speak to you vet and show pictures and iif poss get them to see the horse first.

PaulineW

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Getting the vet out before agreeing a loan will be very costly due to the location, but I am going to try calling them and supplying photos, and see what they think. I think the two in the groin could be banded. While they are fine now while the horse has been out of work, once he starts building up some muscle and doing more frequent exercise there is definitely the chance of things being rubbed.

I don't think the owner would support me in respect of medical costs, as they haven't been treated thus far, however I can have the discussion. :) Many thanks.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Please don't even think of loaning this horse unless the owner will cover all bills for treating the sarcoids should they cause any problems. Multiple sarcoids are a nightmare and the ones in the groin are almost certain to cause issues sooner or later to a horse in proper work.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Please don't even think of loaning this horse unless the owner will cover all bills for treating the sarcoids should they cause any problems. Multiple sarcoids are a nightmare and the ones in the groin are almost certain to cause issues sooner or later to a horse in proper work.

This, this, this.

I think it would be extremely irresponsible and unethical of the owner to try to offload this horse and the attendant expenses linked to the sarcoids. She obviously knows that she won't be able to sell him, so has now decided to offer you to him on loan - disgraceful, imho.
Of course if she offers to pay any vet bills linked to sarcoids, I take those words back.

DD

Visit site
it cost me around £900 to have a sarcoid treated on my gelding last year. If you are going to take the horse on loan you need to mask sure that the owner will pay for vet treatment unless you are willing to yourself.