Mastering my seat....

Visit site
Recently on a half day camp, on George the wonder canter, we were having a lesson, in the arena with a heap of other people at the camp. This meant that George wasnt the leader, and George is always the leader in most things he does being the instructors horse. Anyways, in the arena i could not do the sitting trot, normally in trail rides or lessons im the leader on him, always he is fine, the trot is fine , the sitting trot is fine, and the canter is amazing! But today i couldnt sit, just couldnt, was bouncing all over the place. This emant my canter was buggered too.. and so everytime we got to M and the group cantererd i felt terrible, because i felt i was ruining it for george.. and i felt i must be makin it terrible for him, i was nearly faling off, lost my stirrups once or twice, i was rising and bouncin all over the place, i tried to relax my legs and my back and move my hips with it all the rest and couldnt do it, it was so horrible, i was trying to stop him in the canter while falling off and losing stirrups, felt like i was making it bad for him, and it was bad for em too! I still love the canter but... i just couldnt sit for trot or canter in the arena, and the only thing different was he wasnt the leader. Everything else, was the same.. out on the trailride, my seat was still dodgy, but improved, i could sit and enjoy a canter, and sitting trot improved a bit but he was also two horses closer to the front. I just need help with it, it cant have been Georges fault, so i need help on my sitting. and my seat.. is there any other excericises i can do, i kno a fair few.. but.. jus tht lesson had difficulties, still dont know why.. this lesson today, was totally different, i rode Yoda, with a brand new saddle which i hate, its synthetic and too big, and the stiruups didnt go up any higher so i was stuck with them... this also made it extremely hard to post(?) [rise] when trotting.. i mean it still mad ea difference but it was hard.. Yoda is my all time fave horse he has awesome walk n trot and is a good horse, very big, beautiful, a stock horse, bay um, jsut a great horse.. (except today was super super lazy, and we werent allowed a whip), George my second fave, I havent cantered Yoda, but apparently its bad the worst of the horses because of a past injury he jerks one back leg, so depends on which leg you canter on.. but some ppl trail riding at 11am turned up an hour early, and so we had to go on a trail ride...
frown.gif
which sucked becasue that meant trotting very rarely and only cos they werent experienced riders.. so that was sucky, and the guy rode George so i couldnt ride him either. anyways enough wingin, can anyone please please give my some things to do? Some excericises or tricks or tips to improve my seat and help me with the situation like that with George? gosh ive rambled on im sorry, but can anyone help me with anything? PLEASE!
Lauren

pixie

Visit site
From someone who has just got back into riding after a 3 year break and is currently working on her seat - LOTS OF WORK WITHOUT STIRRUPS!!! It hurts a hell of a lot. You won't have much fun. However it was definately help a lot!

Parkranger

Visit site
Get rid of those stirrups - I did 45 mins in my lesson yesterday and my seat is really working down now and I feel like a bit of a pro!

Visit site
Ok, i will do my best to do that, wht excercises do you recommend and cna i just do it in trot and walk? We already do the swinging legs without stirrups where you swing one up by the shoulder whie the otehr is back to the flank, keeping heals down the whole time.. and just swing them .... and we do a heel-toe excersize too... what else should or could i do?
Lauren