Mats in foaling boxes?

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have 4 super big foaling boxes at my yard and I am currently fitting them out in readiness for next spring. They have concrete floors. I am trying to decide whether to put mats down in them and I am conflicted.

Obviously I will foal down on straw (lovely thick deep bed with big banks to sit on if I need to be there a while )

But would you put mats underneath. Part of me thinks good plan cos if mare digs up bed it’s at least some cushioning and part of me thinks but rubber/ Eva mats are more slippery. I’ve been offered a really good deal on some almost new Mayo mattresses which I could use in here or they could go in a normal stable… any opinions

twiggy2

Visit site
I wouldn't as I was taught straw deep litter is best, easier to clean out and wash out stable after too, much better than lifting mats.
If a big deep litter bed is down I see little point in having mats under it anyway.
The pee can go under mats and its stinks and can harbour lots of bacteria

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have sealed mats on my floors you can deep litter on straw and then muck out.
my foals would all lie on mats when we had little ones .
I used to have just normal mats the loose type we just put the straw over them and then mucked out the first time the mare and foal went out .
Two of us going at it had the job done and shavings in the box before they needed to be back in .

TheMule

Visit site
I do have mats, so long as the bedding is thick enough they are ok. It’s just hard for the newborns to get up on either slippy mat or thick straw, they manage best with an in between!

ihatework

Visit site
If you are going to do it either a sealed rubber floor (with a not too smooth surface) or Eva mats. I wouldn’t put down regular rubber. Essentially you are going to need to be able to quickly and easily disinfect/jet wash

Asha

Visit site
I’ve put mats in my foaling boxes, they’ve been a godsend . I have a mare that digs the straw up , so was a worry foal would end up on concrete.
I put a fine layer of shavings down to absorb the wet , then a thick straw bed . It worked so well as it didn’t smell like a straw bed can , and foal had an extra soft landing . No issue getting up either . One was up and bucking within 5 mins