Matti's first party

Bright_Spark

Visit site
So, I was somehow persuaded to enter Matti into a dressage class which was running this Sunday, as one of my friends was taking her horse to do the combined training. Only problem was, I had less than a week to practice and learn the test. Gulp!

The test was Intro A, although admittedly it felt like a PSG test when I first had to try to learn it. Practising went well in general- we had a couple of disagreements, but nothing too serious. I also practised it on Amber and a couple of times she did it better than Matti!

On Friday, I loaded Matti into the box that we would be using on Sunday. He messed about for a few minutes, so I just backed him away, then turned round and backed him past the lorry. After that, he was quite eager to get on! Took him on and off a few times, closed the partition and tied him up. He was fine with all of it, so I was confident that he would be fine for Sunday.

Saturday was spent finding and sorting all of our kit, including my show hat, slightly ancient jacket and boots and Matti's travelling gear. I cleaned my tack, polished my boots and even scrubbed up Matti's leather headcollar!

Sunday morning we got to the yard in good time, but it seemed to take ages to get ready. Matti did his normal stop at the ramp, so I just backed him up straight away, then he tried to drag me onto the box! Off we set and although it was a few minutes later than we planned, the journey took ages. I wanted to be at the show-ground by 9.30, we got there just gone 10 and my test was at 10.21!

My hubby and my friends sprang into action to help me and Matti get ready in time. We set off to the warm up area, where I was able to trot round once, then it was time for me to go into the arena!

My friend called the test for me (I could remember the test, but it meant I could focus more on riding and not thinking 'where next?'), and apart from Matti being a little spooked by the white boards and horse eating flowers, he did a really nice test. I even remembered to breathe! Before I knew it, the test was over.

DSC01144 by Smart-Cookies, on Flickr

DSC01157 by Smart-Cookies, on Flickr

My super-star pony came 5th with 63.48%, which I thought was good considering the rush to get ready. I had lots of nice comments from the judge and all our marks were 6's and 7's. I am so proud of him and already wanting to do another competition!

DSC01236 by Smart-Cookies, on Flickr

One of him in his travelling gear as I thought he looked so smart :) Incidentally, he travelled like a lamb and walked straight on when it was time to go home.

DSC01234 by Smart-Cookies, on Flickr

Notes to self:
Even if you think you have more than enough time for travelling, leave even earlier!
Oh and maybe have a box to put stuff in, rather than having to make several trips.
Finally, train hubby so he actually helps, rather than chatting to everyone putting us all behind (bless him) :rolleyes:

I have m&m's on offer if you managed all the way until the end :D