Maybe a really embarrassing dumb question

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m on a head shaking page on fb and have been reading through a thread this evening.
Someone asking about feeding magnesium to a head shaker.
Now I believe it’s fairly widely known/thought that magnesium can help with head shaking and so that’s not my question.
It was said that it helps, as with many other things that supplementing anything only works if the diet it lacking in that item.
Fair enough, I get that.
My fuzzy head wonder is…
1- how do you know for sure what exactly a horse may be lacking mineral or otherwise

There is a phase 2 to my question 😂
But that first please

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have no real queries myself. So am not wondering about one particular thing. Just in general. So I’d have to have my grass, my hay and all feeds tested?
I guess not feed as that’s probably easy enough (I say lightly) to work out.

Art Nouveau

Visit site
Are blood tests accurate for everything though? I think they're not for magnesium, as magnesium will get pulled from the bones if there's a deficiency, so blood levels might still look ok.

little_critter

Visit site
Even if you have everything tested bloods can show differently. Very, very low in selenium around me but blood tests show horses are ok.
Agreed, you’d need to blood test for accurate results.
I know humans can be anaemic due to a) diet deficient in iron b) body not correctly utilising the iron they are consuming or c) body losing excessive iron (eg bleeding stomach ulcer)
So your feed and forage might be spot on, but if your horse has an issue utilising the minerals in it, or is somehow losing those minerals excessively then your forage test will show all is fine when the blood test would say there is a deficiency.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
@little_critter thats a good point and answers my next question which was if someone like me who has a few horses kept together, same forage etc managed to perfectly balance a diet would that diet be perfectly balanced for all horses.
So I suppose maybe in theory but quite possibly not in reality.

EventingMum

Visit site
I think a lot would depend on the cause of the headshaking. My horse didn't show any symptoms until he had uveitis, supplements, medication and PENS treatment made no difference to him so I firmly believe that was his trigger whereas others can be traced to allergies and other factors.