Maybe a strange question ...

Dougal9

Visit site
Does anyone's horse show their 'pain' to you more than with others ? I think my horses ulcers or at least hind gut have flared up again. When I undo his rug at the front or try and girth him up - even very gently and with a thick fluffly cover on it - he has a real go. When I say real, I mean teeth and ears back. Yet, even though he will try with others when they push him away he kind of says oh OK then ? Someone said to me that its because he trusts me that he is showing me he's hurting more - not sure if this is old wives tale or not ?? I'm getting in a bit of a spin over it, because if he is in that much pain that he behaves so badly with me then I need to get him scoped again ........ :(

SpringArising

Visit site
No, I don't believe that at all. It's anthropomorphism. The rational explanation is that he 'plays up' more for you because he knows you're soft.

Max123

Visit site
Definitely. My old mare is so dramatic when she is sick or sore. I can tell something is up from 2 fields away. It's great because I can nip things in the bud early. Down side being I think she was retired earlier that another horse would have been as she was showing slight lameness despite vets finding nothing. I think her pain threshold is low. My gelding on the other hand has to be really ill before any symptoms and I end up being paranoid if he seems even slightly out of sorts. As for them trusting you i'm not sure about that. Possibly you are more tuned into your own horse so can spot subtle changes. I do think they know when you are helping them and can be cooperative.
Hope you get to the bottom of your horses problem and is better soon.

Damnation

Visit site
It could just be that being girthed up is more uncomfortable and if you are the only one actually tacking him up it makes sense that the behaviour would show more in that situation.

It could be a learnt behaviour if the ulcers are a historical thing and he knows that you won't tell him off.

Given his history of ulcers I wouldn't write it off as you being soft just yet although it could be a factor. I personally would have him scoped, make sure the ulcers are under control then go from there with managing the behaviour.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I'd have to agree with SpringArising I'm afraid. I suspect he's more demonstrable with you because he knows he can get away with it.

If it makes you feel better, my youngster had me believing she found it difficult picking up her hind feet and kept kicking out. It was only when I spoke to the head groom that I discovered I was the only one she was trying this with. As soon as I stopped treating her like a baby and handled her like any other horse the snatching and kicking out stopped.

Dougal9

Visit site
I've seen him have a go at one of the girls who usually hacks him out for me but nowhere near as bad as with me .... even touching his tummy not near the girth today caused him to react badly with me. It could be learnt, but then he was OK last week.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
It could just be that being girthed up is more uncomfortable and if you are the only one actually tacking him up it makes sense that the behaviour would show more in that situation.

It could be a learnt behaviour if the ulcers are a historical thing and he knows that you won't tell him off.

Given his history of ulcers I wouldn't write it off as you being soft just yet although it could be a factor. I personally would have him scoped, make sure the ulcers are under control then go from there with managing the behaviour.

This.

SpringArising

Visit site
Thanks for the straight answer - not sure I like being called soft but there you go, I opened myself up to it.

I didn't mean soft in a bad way. I just meant that he knows he can get away with the behaviours with you, whereas others probably tell him to nip it in the bud.

atropa

Visit site
Does anyone know if ulcers are more likely to flare up around this time of year? I posted here before about my mare being suddenly girthy and in suspected pain when she is usually so laid back, and I've seen a few similar posts recently too.

SEL

Visit site
I don't know why a horse would bite or kick when tacking up unless there was a pain issue. I don't see what being soft with them has to do with it - a horse needs a reason to bite or kick in the first place IMO.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I didn't mean soft in a bad way. I just meant that he knows he can get away with the behaviours with you, whereas others probably tell him to nip it in the bud.
I agree with SpringArising!
I also don't think soft in a bad way but we all love our horses, we also look for problems or answers to things they do because we worry.
Don't feel bad but if I was you I'd be a bit firmer and see if it makes a difference :)

TBmum

Visit site
Does anyone know if ulcers are more likely to flare up around this time of year? I posted here before about my mare being suddenly girthy and in suspected pain when she is usually so laid back, and I've seen a few similar posts recently too.

Funny you should ask this, my mare was very funny about her tummy being touched this time last year (then found out she had a secret foal hiding in there so put it down to that) and again has become quite funny recently (definitely no foal hiding). Though shes only funny about being touched, fine with girth being done up?

Any ideas?

Mongoose11

Visit site
I do believe this to be true. My mare has properly colicked twice and both times she has literally waited until she has had sight of me and then gone down. I'm certain she didn't just spontaneously colic at the sight of my face 😂. Both times others have been on the yard and reported that she had 'seemed fine' up until the point I arrived.

Last edited:

JillA

Visit site
As a prey animal a horse's survival may well depend on concealing pain - predators go for the old and infirm as easy targets. It's hard wired into them despite their radically different lifestyle these days. The fact that he lets you know in no uncertain terms demonstrates a level of confidence in you, as well as feeling he CAN.
And also it is likely you are the one dealing with stuff that directly touches his painful areas - rugging etc

Dougal9

Visit site
That's what others have told me too (incl my vet just not in as many words). I do have a strong bond with him so I guess I should trust that - and him - more. Since we've been at our current yard he has begun to show through his behaviour that he was more than likely not handled very well in the past - I hate to say abused but my vet reckons he suffered some level of it. I'm working with a very experienced trainer who throughout her life has had horses with a past such as his and takes pride in using gentle, kind, slow training and techniques to quell their fears. When I say behaviour I don't mean kicking or being nasty - just by using his body language he is showing us that he is anxious and unsure in certain areas. For example he can't be long reined with a roller, we tried it and he ended up a shivering wreck tucked into the corner of the arena, so that is a big no no for him, yet he is perfect on a normal lunge. These are things that have only come to light over the last month. Its going to take time to get him right and it certainly isn't what I envisaged my first horse to be like but he's with me now for life come what may.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I don't think it's because you're 'soft'. I think he IS in pain and remembers the pain you previously caused him! I have one like that who blames ME for his ulcers and his castration - hell, I was there both times. My staff can at least get near him in the field and pat him - I can't get within 20 yards of him - even though I deliver his haylage, do his water etc etc etc. I would BET his ulcers are back. And memories - particularly bad ones - are the dominating cause of bad behaviour.

You could have him scoped agai - but hell, I'd be SO sure I'd just treat him.

Dougal9

Visit site
I don't think he hates me - he still calls to me when he sees me (doesn't do this to anyone else) its just the tacking up and taking off of rugs that we have a problem with - which is how it all started last time too !. I'm ordering his meds today so yes, as you say I am just going to go ahead and treat him :)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
No - he doesn't hate you. He just associates you with things that have hurt in the past - as well as with the good stuff. Hopefully, he'll be back to normal soon - although - thanks to memory - it won't happen the split second the ulcers are back under control. Just be patient - and careful!!