Maybe I’ll just get on him and see what happens... ?

hobo

Visit site
He looks fab for his age, I am sure he is not bothered if he is doing anything and trouble is he may feel to well and do more than he should. If he will potter about sensibly I am sure it would be fine to have little rides but if he gets silly and excited you may regret it.

Spotherisk

Visit site
He won’t be silly, I think he might be grateful. Our drive/track is about 300 metres long to the council road, I think that would be about our limit. I still have his hoof boots so he wouldn’t be uncomfortable underfoot. I think I’m too crocked for more than 300 metres anyway!

Spotherisk

Visit site
He looks great - I suppose I would ask why was he retired? Was there an injury or something else and if there were no current issues and it was only short rides and you think he would enjoy them then go for it

No injuries. I had a youngster coming on (who was PTS in Feb this year) and Harley just got kind of sidelined and before you know it a couple of years have gone by... I’ve had him since he was five so know pretty much everything he’s done, he’s had an easy life. ?

teddypops

Visit site
I'm firmly in the camp that health permitting oldies flourish with a job to do. My mare is 27 and ridden at least 4 times for a week on five mile plus well paced hacks which she loves. I will keep riding her until I fell she doesn't enjoy it anymore.
I agree with this, my very spritely 29yo is in full work and loves going out hacking. We did a fast 2.5hour hack today in the sun!

Squeak

Visit site
I'm firmly in the camp that health permitting oldies flourish with a job to do. My mare is 27 and ridden at least 4 times for a week on five mile plus well paced hacks which she loves. I will keep riding her until I fell she doesn't enjoy it anymore.

I agree with this too. My old boy loved going out for a wander and was so much happier for it.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I retired my eventer (and proper horse of a lifetime) at 22, when he was 24 I knew it would be his last summer and it was my birthday - so I tacked him up and went for a potter with my fiend - a gentle walk.
Every year on my birthday I remember the last time I rode him and smile
He seemed to love it do and the fact he'd had 2 years off made no difference to his impeccable behaviour (I was given him when he was too dangerous to ride - not been a plodder ever in his life)

Visit site
I unretired my 28yo Shetland for a couple of Lead Rein shows in 2018. I thought I was being nice by putting him in the Lead Rein seeing as he hadn't been ridden in 6 years. I regret that decision now. Well no I dont! He had a WHALE of a time! Snuck in some canter and had me hanging quite literally onto his bit ring trying to keep him steady! I think he would have prefered to do the Open Ridden!

If he is happy doing it then by all means hop on and take each day as it comes! He will tell you when enough is enough!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Frank's been retired for 2 years, he probably could be ridden now but well, he's not too fussed and Mum never really did like riding him much (and I'm away and too heavy). He goes for in hands walks about half an hour 3 times a week instead, mostly because it does his hooves good.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Well, we went for our walk! He looked pleased but slightly confused to be tacked up and he was a star, even sidled up to the mounting block on the old command of ‘Harl, one step closer’! We went to the end of the drive and back, probably less than half a mile altogether, and we will do it again, I’m not planning on getting out of walk and will be led by him. My birthday yesterday so now we have a combined age of 80...

Thanks to all of you who told me stories of your older horses and ponies still being ridden.

Attachments

• B38D481E-6894-4456-9BA0-A138AFB9D34A.jpeg
    B38D481E-6894-4456-9BA0-A138AFB9D34A.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 9948D421-4EBD-491A-81B6-BE527214F3B4.jpeg
    9948D421-4EBD-491A-81B6-BE527214F3B4.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 98

canteron

Visit site
Well, we went for our walk! He looked pleased but slightly confused to be tacked up and he was a star, even sidled up to the mounting block on the old command of ‘Harl, one step closer’! We went to the end of the drive and back, probably less than half a mile altogether, and we will do it again, I’m not planning on getting out of walk and will be led by him. My birthday yesterday so now we have a combined age of 80...

Thanks to all of you who told me stories of your older horses and ponies still being ridden.
Mere teenagers compared to half of us on here!!!!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
b38d481e-6894-4456-9ba0-a138afb9d34a-jpeg.54936

Your smile says it all, and Harley looks as if he's just waiting for the signal to be allowed to go.