MBP

melbiswas

Visit site
Following forum discussions last night I thought I might share my experiences with this worrying condition.

MUNCHAUSENS-BY-PONY

Reading this forum can start this syndrome off. You read about problems and start to think your horse has them all.

The early signs are frenetic googling and sleep deprivation.

It is contagious and you can start to notice problems in your friends' horses too, or even other horses you see who have no connection to you.

As the disease progresses vet involvement is necessary. You will find yourself discussing issues knowledgeably with them. I even used the F- word with my vet (Forum you sillies, I would never swear at the lovely Ben, well not until I get the bill later). Don't worry I am sure he had heard it before, he had this resigned look....

The side effects of this condition are a greater knowledge of horsey ailments.

In my particular case I now know my oldies definitely don't have Cushing's (free blood tests) they are on a much healthier diet and my Tb is starting to cope barefoot. My new mare is not showing signs of pregnancy.

The only known cure is a large glass of wine

This condition is not to be confused with Vet-Fixation which is far more serious and financially fatal.

rowan666

Visit site
Hahahahaha Im definatly suffering from this!! reading all these BOGOF threads has got me paranoid beyond belief that my mare is pregnant!! But since I am actually pregnant I cant have a large glass of wine to cure it! What else can I do before I lumber myself with pointless vet bills!? :eek:

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
Oh god I really have this. If I did everything I read my horse would have every supplement ever know to man. Be ridden either bitless or in a Cheltenham gag. He has ulcers, kissing spine, needs to be sent away to be schooled etc etc.

I have even found myself googling cushings symptoms just incase he has rare ones I don't know about oh and neurological issues.

catkin

Visit site
This really is an incurable disease

Even if you pull the plug on your 'puter you will find yourself irresistably drawn to Hayes veterinary manual and other books.

You can only ever hope to manage the condition - best regime we have found is a husband who hides the books whenever the ponies 'look a bit sad'..........;)

Visit site
I used to suffer from this but strangely since I stopped riding and had another landmark birthday I seem to have been cured !

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
Hahahahaha Im definatly suffering from this!! reading all these BOGOF threads has got me paranoid beyond belief that my mare is pregnant!! But since I am actually pregnant I cant have a large glass of wine to cure it! What else can I do before I lumber myself with pointless vet bills!? :eek:

I've got it so badly I think my geldings are in foal!!! Bottle of Stella cider to hand!!!! :D