Measuring for a bit?

sandi_84

Visit site
Picking up the lad's bridle tomorrow and want to get both a loose ring and eggbutt snaffle to try him on to start with but I want to measure him properly to make sure he's 100% comfortable before shelling out the cash :eek:
Can someone please tell me how to measure for:

1) a loose ring snaffle

2) an eggbutt snaffle

Thank you!

Dottie

Visit site
I'm wondering the same thing to be honest!! I'm off to see my new chap tomorrow to measure him up for sone new togs, and I'm taking my other mares bridle and 5 1/2 bit with me to try it on him and compare it.
I know you can buy proper head pieces with a bit measurer attached, but by the time you order that, you'll probably already have the horse! Good luck :)

Tickles

Visit site
Tack shops sell little plastic 'measuring bits' with discs on the ends. You pop bit in where a real bit goes and slide the plastic circles in to touch each side of horse's mouth.

There are size marks on the plastic shaft.

Hope that makes sense!

sandi_84

Visit site
I'm wondering the same thing to be honest!! I'm off to see my new chap tomorrow to measure him up for sone new togs, and I'm taking my other mares bridle and 5 1/2 bit with me to try it on him and compare it.
I know you can buy proper head pieces with a bit measurer attached, but by the time you order that, you'll probably already have the horse! Good luck :)

We are using one of the yards spare 5 1/2's at the moment and that seems to fit fine with no pinching or anything but I want to make sure it's the right size just in case

Tack shops sell little plastic 'measuring bits' with discs on the ends. You pop bit in where a real bit goes and slide the plastic circles in to touch each side of horse's mouth.

Aha! Brilliant, thank you! :D

There are size marks on the plastic shaft.

Hope that makes sense!