Measuring Saddle Width

TGM

Visit site
I have four saddles which no longer fit the horses I have now, and therefore have decided to put them up for sale. However, I'm not sure what width they are, which makes them difficult to describe for advertising purposes.

One is an Albion Style dressage saddle and has marked on the flap M - 18, which would lead me to believe that it is an 18" Medium - but to my untutored eye looks very wide for medium. The other three are Barnsbys - they have numbers stamped on the flaps which are prefixed by either N or M. Do you think that refers to the width (narrow & medium)?

Is there a way of measuring the width of a saddle?

KatB

Visit site
Barnsbys are measured by no.s, so 1 being narrow, 2 NM, 3 M etc etc. Albion is indeed 18" medium. Only thing you could do would be to measure between D rings, people seem to use that as an indication.

TGM

Visit site
Thanks Kat! If I use the D ring measurement and describe what sort of horse they fitted then perhaps that will give people a clue what size they are!

KatB

Visit site
Lol! Yes I advertised a saddle as the width on the flap, and still got asked for measuremenst and horse type etc, so should be sufficient!!
smile.gif