measuring the seat for a saddle?

jalapeno

Wherever the wind takes me.. usually somewhere on
Visit site
this may be a silly question but how do you measure what seat size you need for a saddle. i know it cannot sit further back than the ribs etc etc and that its for the rider to sit comfortably. my horse is 14.3 welsh X and im a lightweight/short rider. iv tried a 17" on him and its too big as he is rather short backed!! i dont really want to guess.. is there a way i canmeasure? thankyou in advance :)

abina

Visit site
The size of the seat is a reference to the seat required by the size of the rider.
The measurement is taken from the centre of the stud at the front of the saddle to the centre of the cantle, in a diagonal line.

I would recommend that you get a qaulified saddler to come and fit your saddle as each horse is so different and throws up a number of questions that your saddler will be able to sort and slightly adjust the saddle on site to ensure the best possible fit.

Good luck..... remember your saddle is an investment so get the best you possibly can afford, get it fitted correctly and your horse will be forever thankful !