measuring

Cahill

Visit site
my dog is to be measured,he is borederline,any tips for the measuring process please to get him as short as possible?
thanks

Alec Swan

Visit site
Lévrier;13715337 said:
Take his shoes off and with-hold water to make him dehydrated/sag? Tongue in cheek of course, he is what he is OP......x

:D even though it may be sage advice! :)

OP — measured? Why, and in what way is he borderline?

Alec.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Presume this is for some form of dog sport ? The main thing is to make sure the dog is familiar with the method of measurement to be used so he is relaxed . A tense dog tends to make themself taller .

3Beasties

Visit site
Get him used to standing up in a nice position. Then get him used to having things above/over him. Once he's confident with that, get other people to handle/stand him up so he is used to the process with people he doesn't know .

Cahill

Visit site
sorry,should have been clearer.
in kc agility there are 3 heights small med and large.
he is measured med and now is due his 2nd measure.
if he is over 430cm at the wither,he will have to compete in large.
they are measured with a metal hoop and we have been practicing,hence i know he is borderline.

i was wondering if to do a short canix run b4 our measure?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
That may help I suppose , and I believe keeping their head low with a treat can help . Pickle was about 3" under the hoop so it wasn't an issue for him 😛 I hope your lad measures in, it's a big jump (no pun intended) to large .

Cahill

Visit site
That may help I suppose , and I believe keeping their head low with a treat can help . Pickle was about 3" under the hoop so it wasn't an issue for him �� I hope your lad measures in, it's a big jump (no pun intended) to large .

thank you.yes 450 to 650 is massive,even with the lower height option of 550 is too big,he would clear it easy but more important to protect his well being x

satinbaze

Visit site
There is nothing you can do to make them smaller as the hoop has to have both feet on the ground to measure. Also unless your dog is very clearly large then they will have to have a second measure I think it’s 1 year after the first. At any point anyone can object to your dogs height and hey have to be remeasured as recently happened to my friends dog. He had been officially measured into small and been running at that height for a number of years and was grade 6. An objection was raised he was remeasured as medium.

Cahill

Visit site
he is my little sbt
he has easily cleared 650 before for fun chasing my other dog but doing a course of @ 18 obstacles is different.

will update how we fare.

Bustermartin

Visit site
sorry,should have been clearer.

if he is over 430cm at the wither,he will have to compete in large.

?

By crikey if he is over 430cm at the wither - I doubt they will have a metal hoop big enough!!! You'd be able to ride him if you could find a long enough ladder!

alainax

Visit site
If it wasn’t cheating... I’d have my own hoop and say “lie down” every time I put it on. Just as the dog crouches slightly id praise and treat. Soon doggo would ever so slightly crouch when the hoop came near, maybe subtly enough to get you that cm. Of course that’s cheating and you can’t do that....

Cahill

Visit site
mm....cm.....what the hell? you know what i mean lol
i`m a feet and inches person.

yes i think it would be a shame for a sbt to have to jump large as all his weight is his head lol.
but
rules is rules and there has to be a cut off point.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
It is a fairly arbitrary cut-off point though. The jump height to dog height ratio for small and medium compared to the big jump (pun not intended!) up to large doesn't quite compute, and the introduction of LHO has been a contentious way of trying to deal with it.

Can open, worms everywhere. :p

Cahill

Visit site
yes,i always do LH with my rott.he is deff a large but big boned so this suits him well.
i feel i would not be fair in asking staff to do even the LH 550

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I have been known to switch between LHO and full height depending on what qualifiers are available which is the absolute worst crime, according to some. :p Mine are also large larges and getting on a bit now so I'll take the option where we can.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
if he is carrying excess weight, a layer of fat on the shoulders will make his wither higher, so keep him lean and trim if it's close. The measurers are usually good at waiting for them to relax before putting the hoop over so if it's close they often will work with you to see if they can get him under (legally of course)

Cahill

Visit site
well,he measured large :(
i could have got my thumb under each leg of the hoop.

that will be the end of kc for us as you have to have a 3rd measure within 2 months which is a faff as i cant see one nearby.
we only do about 5 a year anyway but we do lots of uka.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
well,he measured large :(
i could have got my thumb under each leg of the hoop.

that will be the end of kc for us as you have to have a 3rd measure within 2 months which is a faff as i cant see one nearby.
we only do about 5 a year anyway but we do lots of uka.

Can you not do LHO?

Edit: just seeing you have to have a third measure. That's a shame. I thought it was just two measures - and no measures if it's an obvious large. So if you're going large (and potentially LHO) why do you have to remeasure at all?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
If the height at second measure is different to the first then a third measure has to be done. I suspect the reason Cahill is not going for LHO is that the jump height is 550mm which is still quite a bit bigger than the medium height of 450mm .

PucciNPoni

Visit site
If the height at second measure is different to the first then a third measure has to be done. I suspect the reason Cahill is not going for LHO is that the jump height is 550mm which is still quite a bit bigger than the medium height of 450mm .

Ah ok. I didn't know what the jump height difference was for large/LHO/med was. Guess it would be like expecting my toy poodle to be as comfortable jumping a small as my miniature, and my mini is well under the measure by the toy stands about 10inches tall so would be struggling with a small course.