Mechanical Horses

Divasmum

Visit site
Have any of you ridden a mechanical horse? If so did you use it to return to the saddle after a break or to work on position? What were the costs involved? Where did you go and what did you think of the experience?

Janette

Visit site
I had a go on the mechanical horse last weekend, at Manor Grange Stud, near Doncaster. It was part of a 'Day Camp' and very interesting. One girl said it made her feel sea sick. I didn't feel that, but it was 'different'. We were working on position and balance, I never got out of walk - (going faster was not part of the package, not because I was incapable).
The motion is similar to that of a carousel horse - upwards and forwards. I could really see the benefit for trying something new - or refeshing old skills. MGS use it to start people riding sidesaddle incidentally.

The worst thing was the mirrors......... 1 to each side, and 1 infront of you. No getting away from the view!!!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

CoachinaCar

Visit site
I frequently send clients to have a lesson on a mechanical horse especially if they are having trouble with sitting trot, it is really beneficial for those riders who spend Monday to Fridaly sitting behind a desk, if they can get to mechanical horse on a Friday evening it really helps when they have their lesson on Saturday.

You have to find a good trainer who really knows how to work the rider on them, they are in no way a substitute for sitting on the real things but they are a useful addition.

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
I had a go on the mechanical horse last weekend, at Manor Grange Stud, near Doncaster. It was part of a 'Day Camp' and very interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hijack the post - Me too!! Which one were you? I was on the big bright bay and teamed up with the young girl (Frankie?) on her pony!

To answer the original question I really liked it but felt that the canter was going backwards rather than forwards. Have to say I didn't like seeing myself in all the mirrors either (one to each side and one in front of you) you could see my wobbly bits far too much!

It did make me think about going back for more lessons as going from mechancal horse (Harry Jnr!)to real horse my riding was a bit pants trying to remember what I'd learnt on Harry and trying to translate that to my own horse as well trying to keep him in a outline, going forward etc was a bit hard!

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
I used one last year to get me back in the saddle after a major spinal op. I really built up muscle and confidence in my riding position which put me in a positive frame of mind when I got back on the real thing! I paid £20 for 45mins instruction and thought it was good value.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I went on a mechanical horse at Plumpton College in East Sussex. To be honest I found it highly funny but no help to my riding at all. It just didn’t feel anything like riding Bodey (maybe it was more like riding a WB, who knows) and the instructor wasn’t that good IMO (I’m no good at being forced into positions that my body is just not capable of) . I can’t remember how much I paid about £20 I think. Worth it for a giggle though.