Med fever again - sorry

JACQSZOO

Visit site
Georige developed a bit of mud fever last week on his off hind, nothing hideous just a couple of little scabs. I've kept him in for the past week and its looking a lot better and have decided to let him out for a couple of hours everyday.
Like most people we have had never ending rain and the field resembles a swamp in places so I plan to plaster him in udder cream. I'm a little undecided what I should do when I bring him in though bearing in mind he will more than likely be plastered fetlock deep in mud. Should I let it dry and brush off and then reapply udder cream or hose off and dry and reapply or leave alone and just reapply the cream every few days?

joanne1920

Visit site
Hi, ive found that udder cream doesnt stay on very well in very muddy conditions, i use sudocrem on my cob who still has cracked heels, its much thicker and stays in place easier, then when my cob comes in at night i just hose the area with cold water the sudocrem is usually still there, so ive just been adding a bit more fore over night... hope this helps a bit? Jo

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I would not wash off at all which is also my vet's advice!

You could bandage his wet legs (or use wraps) they'll dry much quicker and you can leave on overnight too and then brush out in the morning. Then use Protocon, it'll stick better than udder cream too. Make sure you don't pick at the scabs but get right down to the skin by using a circular massaging motion as you put the cream on (plaster it on, don't be mingy with it!) When he comes in that night, just bandage the legs/leave to dry; next morning, put some more cream on and so on. Henryhorn swears by using cling film over cream but I haven't tried that yet!

Peanot

Visit site
I have found `Muddy Marvel` really good and a few on the yard use it too. It is a barrier cream which aids healing underneath while protecting it from the wet and mud.
You can wash off with water as long as you dry thoroughly or put wraps on to keep warm.
Otherwise vets and professionals advice is to let to dry and then brush off in the morning.
I personally leave to dry until the morning unless its really muddy, then I dry with a towel afterwards, but this is rare.

vickers22

Visit site
i wash off his feet and then dry them with a towel and use stable wraps to get the rest of the moisture away. I also every week or so use warm water and hibiscrub to take it all off and re apply in morning.This disinfects otherwise i find mud gets stuck to his legs. Last year he had a bad case of mud fever, but this year as we brought him in earlier he has none (fingers crossed) i used NAF mud guard which is good(and nice to put on!!) but and now trialing keratex one...will see how it goes...