Medium canter help

Madam_max

Visit site
How do I help a horse extend his frame in medium canter? My horses only 16.1 but very short coupled with big paces. When I ask him to extend he spends more time in the air rather than lengthening us frame going forwards.

Tempi

Visit site
I would start by making sure you have a good collected canter established before asking for the medium, make sure he is taking the weight behind properly. I would then shoulder-fore in the slightly collected canter before riding forwards (still in shoulder fore) for a few strides, then back to collected again. Make sure you have the reins short and carry the hands up and forwards with elbows slightly in front of you so you get the effect of almost pushing him out in front.

I would also try doing exercises in counter canter to help with the suppleness in his body which should allow him to then stretch better in the medium canter. Try counter canter serpentines and also push him into medium canter down the longside whilst still in counter canter - you can do this with flexion to the inside and outside. It should help him to release at the base of the neck to again alow for a bigger stretch in the medium canter.

You need to look at whats needed in the medium canter - so the stretch, suppleness and impulsion - address these issues first and then try the medium canter again.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Just to emphasise something in Tempi's excellent answer, make sure you are really allowing the horse to take your hand forwards with enough movement in your elbows and not swinging your body with a limited arm instead. You need to use your core to keep your body aligned and 'riding three wave' as it were.

I can't tell if it's happening you you - it doesn't sound like it - but you sometimes see people try for the increase by swinging their body and this can result in a fixed hand, so the horse is actually ridden shorter/deeper in the 'down' section of the stride. I find it helps to think 'up and out' rather than 'longer, just using the hand to shape the end of the stride.

Madam_max

Visit site
Actually to be fair you have hit the nail on the head I expect.

My instructor has also said I need to be stronger in my core. I think my problem stem from the fact he's been ridden by professional riders mostly and I need to strengthen myself through my core, but how?

gunnergundog

Visit site
Ditto what Tarrsteps has said, but just to put a slightly different slant on it....

The horse needs to extend its frame as well as the stride....that means seeking the contact forwards and out, following the hand.

Start with free walk on a long rein (ridden correctly!) to ensure that the horse follows the hand. Also, whilst I'm not a dressage purist, I have in the past used poles on the ground to help a horse extend the frame and also to help me realise just how much I needed to allow forwards in order to encourage him.