Medium trot

Taboo1968

Visit site
Why do horses when learning this, tend to just rush, speed up or try to break into canter? Whats the easiest way of getting them to lengthen but maintain the tempo?

hollyzippo

Visit site
Its basically down to a lack of balance and engagement. My younger one has just learnt as starting BD novice and he used to do all of the above. You need to work on getting them really engaged, ie. hocks underneath and off forehand in working trot first. Then try half halting back to a slow really suspended trot befor you push for medium/lengthened.
Also I found it usedful to let mine go down the gallops with my mates medium level horse trotting at full extention and made Jools keep up! This gave him idea he could lengthen stride before I started doing it in the school! Hope it helps!
grin.gif

Llwyncwn

Visit site
It took me a fortnight of patient graft to get my mare to understand that I wasnt asking for speed. Once she began to get the idea, I introduced voice commands (my command was 'extend'). You can also practice out hacking whilst going up hill.

Taboo1968

Visit site
Thanks for that.... in fact it just reminded me of the time we were out on hack with company and trotting on the road and he really did extend, so maybe thats the way to start the ball rolling....by association.....