Medium Trot

rjwaldron

Visit site
Hello All,

I am having problems with my medium trot!! I find that my legs rise up, I end up on what feels like my tip toes and my lower leg sneaks forward. Also because the horse I ride has so much "movement" in his medium trot I find my balance goes a little, on top of this I feel I have to rise too high so that I have enough to do in the time between the rises. Does this make sense, basically I am a mess and really letting my horse down who is a total star!!!

Help pretty please

Thanks

Rachel

Tempi

Visit site
Try putting your stirrups up a hole, then you will find the 'bigger rising' easier. I have a big moving horse and his medium trot is huge, i have to rise 'bigger' to it, so i ride with slightly shorter stirrups than i do on my mare who dosent have much of a medium trot.

What does your trainer/instructor suggest?

rjwaldron

Visit site
That's a great tip for schooling, wouldn't work at competitions though!! I need to push my trainer on this as she says that I need to get used to the big movement as it's a new ride for me. I don't feel as though time is all I need. I think it's a style change for me. what do you think??

Tempi

Visit site
why cant you compete a hole shorter? It might help your balance for the time being.

I compete Archie a hole shorter than normal aswell. But then i do agree that a bigger movement takes time to get used to. I still find Archie's canter hard to sit to as its so uphill. I think practice and time are a big factor into getting used to different horses, especially the ones with the bigger movement.

Im sure that you will get used to it......Have you tried sitting to it? I know sometimes that can make a difference as you arent having to concentrate on getting the rising (if you see what i mean!) x

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
I ride on my pupil's big warmblood occasionally and I find that if I ride a raise more as opening my hips rather than thighs/lower leg I feel much more in balance with him (even his working trot has a considerable suspension not to mention anything bigger!).
If you think it's a style of riding that hinders you try experimenting with the amount of thrust your hips do when raising and find the one that matches the impulsion/suspension the best.
What I also found helpful is alternating between sitting and raising trot (a few strieds of each) which helped with my coordination on him a lot.
Sorry not much help really, All the best sorting it out.