Meet Muffin :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Muffin McClay, 16.1 7 year old, trained over hurdles but never raced because the paying guests took up all their time and they 'never got around to him'. He is very sweet boy and he moves like a dream. They missed a trick not sending him away to be dressage trained, because I couldn't believe my eyes when they trotted him up for me. His photos on ROR do him no favours at all, and I only went to see him because he was close and I'm in need of an immediate cheap rideable companion for Ludo since selling my lovely cob who had reached his limit, dressage wise. I've got more horse than I paid for, that's for sure 😁.

20181214_141002_resized.jpg

Ouch05

Visit site
Oh did you manage to sell your other horse. I followed the thread to a point before it turned a bit nasty.

I love a racer. Hope he is what you are looking for and if you manage ridden medium trot can you come and teach my ex as after years if trying he still doesn't 'get' it lol

ycbm

Visit site
Oh did you manage to sell your other horse. I followed the thread to a point before it turned a bit nasty.

I love a racer. Hope he is what you are looking for and if you manage ridden medium trot can you come and teach my ex as after years if trying he still doesn't 'get' it lol

Yes, Henry is sold :) He was snapped up very quickly by people who saw exactly the same videos that people were being nasty about on that thread, passed all his flexions with flying colours, and we delivered him to his new people a week ago.

I'm looking forward to riding Muffin. I've seen him ridden but I haven't sat on him myself yet. Hopefully he'll 'get' medium trot :)

ycbm

Visit site
What are you planning on doing with him?

Well he needs some back muscle first, as he has none worth mentioning currently 😏 due to having been completely roughed off for several months in a small flat paddock, but the hills will sort that out in a few weeks. He trots like a dressage horse, all lift and suspension, so that seems to be an obvious route for outings next year if I can get over my own dislike of being judged 😳. I've checked out ROR Dressage but the qualifiers are few and far between and the information I have seen so far is that they have to be ROR registered, which I can do because he has been in training, but also raced, which he hasn't.

He hacks alone and in company, they assure me, but isn't quite traffic proof. So that will need sorting, and I expect to hack him a fair bit.

I don't have any fixed objectives, I just want to enjoy riding my pair of horses that are sharp and light on their feet before I'm too old for sports horses any more. His main job is to be enough fun to ride that I am not tempted to overwork Ludo, who is not a particularly physically advanced three year old.

Interestingly, this one, although a full TB, has the widest hips I've ever seen on a racehorse and a very widely sprung ribcage, too. When I have some muscle on him I expect him to need a wide or even extra wide gullet plate, and that will be a first on TB for me!

ycbm

Visit site
I do realize that everything I have been told about him could be complete lies. But I've bought him direct from a very reputable trainer who has a lot of runners both NH and flat, who bred him, whose wife owned him, and the daughter rode him. I've met all of them, they are clearly fond of him, and if their story isn't true I'd be very, very shocked. But it was a risk with taking for £1500. If he's what they say, he's worth twice that to me as soon as he's in work.

ycbm

Visit site
Great name! Looking forward to more photos and some videos too please!!

I'd love to oblige, but iI have yet to post video on this forum without being told I've got a lame horse, and I don't think my masochism bucket is empty enough for another try for quite a while 😕

But I'll definitely get some more photos. Here's a couple for a start. There a gentle discussion going on as to who is top dog, but they are both being so polite!

473624_2018-12-14 17_45_03.jpg473624_2018-12-14 17_50_02.jpg

What's this?

She calls it an involvement device.

What's one of those when it's at home?

Oh, you'll get used to her, she's not so bad when you get to know her.

OK.

Surbie

Visit site
What a lovely looking horse - and a great name! Wish you many years of sharp, light fun with him and Ludo. Plus you will give in and have to post vids etc at some point, so I'll hang on till then...:)

silv

Visit site
I'd love to oblige, but iI have yet to post video on this forum without being told I've got a lame horse, and I don't think my masochism bucket is empty enough for another try for quite a while 😕

I wouldn't take it too personally, I have noticed that most people who post videos on here get told their horse is lame.

He looks nice, look forward to following his progress.

npage123

Visit site
Aw, I'm drawn to TBs too. I love how clever and responsive they are. Your boy looks like such a lovely chunky boy (in that 1st photo), good neck going into big full chest. I'm sure once he's used to traffic, you'll enjoy lovely long hacks with him. My guess is that he would be a very comfortable ride. I hope you find a saddle that fits him (and you) comfortably. So glad he's already getting on well with his friend in the barn. Brilliant first introduction! I'll be watching this space for updates so please keep us posted. I think you're going to have a magnificent journey with him. Best of luck and enjoy the process :)

ycbm

Visit site
Saddle fit isn't a problem, as I use WOW saddles and they are so adjustable. BUT, I tried some gullet plates on him this morning and he is already in a five! This is gobsmackingly wide for a TB, my previous experience has been a one or a two, or even a nought, and in one case a minus one!

He is anxious, but behaving well and doing what he is told this morning. He needs a routine and to realise I appear at the same time each day and the same things happen.

I want to get his shoes off, but they are new on, and the ground is frozen and might make him sore, so it will have to wait. He's only got fronts, thankfully.

I can't get more photos, sorry folks, there is a freezing gale outside! They are both out in it at the moment, but not for much longer, it's too vile out there. And it really takes something to make me keep horses in during the day.

Reacher

Visit site
Many congratulations I hope you have lots of fun.
I’d really like it if you would start a hoof diary thread with photos starting when the shoes come off to show how they change.