Meet the Donks (pics)

Cobbytype

Visit site
Just a quick post as I'm off to the field:

attachment.php

attachment.php

They seem to have their feet under the table already - they arrived only a very short time ago:)

chillipup

Visit site
OMG, Oh so very, very cute. Donks are the funniest, naughtiest, intelligent and loving equines I've ever met. Real characters, each and every one of them. Hope you have lots and lots of fun with them. :)

and there's nothing like a good snog with a donkey....

Cobbytype

Visit site
Ah, thank you everyone. Bitter sweet moments today. The first equines to set foot in the paddock since I lost my much missed horse in 2014.

I've dreaded going down to the paddock; nothing worse than an empty field. Hopefully these chaps will cheer the place up a bit.

muddygreymare

Visit site
Lovely donkeys! I've just left a yard which had a donkey on and he was such a character, in fact he's the only thing I miss haha. Sorry to hear about your horse, hopefully these long eared bundles of trouble will stamp their hooves over your heart pretty soon :)

EmmaC78

Visit site
They are adorable. I am buying my own place soon and really must resist the temptation to buy a donkey!

Cobbytype

Visit site
Lovely donkeys! I've just left a yard which had a donkey on and he was such a character, in fact he's the only thing I miss haha. Sorry to hear about your horse, hopefully these long eared bundles of trouble will stamp their hooves over your heart pretty soon :)

Thank you - I miss him such a lot.

I was most surprised that the 5 horses in adjacent fields barely reacted when the donkeys arrived. There was no frantic galloping around, just the 'stare at the new people' thing that horses do.

Cobbytype

Visit site
lovely donks, are you still getting another horse and if so how did you get on with the last horse you tried?

All being well I've found a nice little horse. I don't want to jinx things, but he's coming for a month's trial in a few weeks time.

I'm having plastic surgery on Monday to reconstruct my face (hence why my face is hidden in the pics) (skin cancer) so need to get myself sorted out a bit before getting my face smeared in horse spit:) Have worn sun screen for years, but a lifetime of dogs and horses and the 'healthy' outdoors has caught up with me.

chillipup

Visit site
Oh gosh, Ct, sorry to hear this. I've had to have a few basal cell carcinomas removed from my face, as I too have lived a very 'outdoor life'. I do wish you well with the surgery and remember, unlike most humans, other mammals don't care a jot how you look, just so long as you love them. Wishing you well.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Ah thank you. I can see the donks pulling off the dressing - they are like toddlers and everything goes in their mouths:) Probably have to adore them from arms length for a few days.

I think mine's just a basal cell carcinoma, but it's really taken hold since I had the biopsy and my nose has got quite a large hole in it where the cartilage has caved in.

Cobbytype

Visit site
So cute. Hope things go well for you - sounds like life's been tough.

Oh well I'm at that age when loss becomes an 'occupational hazard'. Lost my horse the day after my Mum's funeral. Something had to give and unfortunately it was my face:)

Husband immediately suggested going for treatment privately and when I discovered the cost I told him I'd rather spend the money on a horse and look like Quasimodo. I guess that makes me a 'true equestrian' even if my riding lets the side down a bit:) As it was I spent a bit less and there was enough left over for the donks.

debsflo

Visit site
Oooh I just love them, I have always wanted a donkey too. Good luck with the surgery next week and fingers crossed for your new one
X

Cobbytype

Visit site
Oooh I just love them, I have always wanted a donkey too. Good luck with the surgery next week and fingers crossed for your new one
X

Oh thank you - I'll be glad when it's done now. Hope you get something sorted soon - any joy with the one you were interested in?

Princess16

Visit site
Gawjuss donks ( I do love them but believe they are more difficult to look after than horses :-/ ) what are their names?

Hope the surgery goes well - you have been through the mill so I'm sure these wonderful creatures will be just the tonic :)

Cobbytype

Visit site
Gawjuss donks ( I do love them but believe they are more difficult to look after than horses :-/ ) what are their names?

Hope the surgery goes well - you have been through the mill so I'm sure these wonderful creatures will be just the tonic :)

Thank you.

The donks are Caspar and Victor. They are both fed up because I've put them to bed for a few hours with just barley straw to scoff as my spring grass has sprung.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
They are gorgeous, I miss my donkey so much, one day I will have another. You can't beat donkey cuddles, their noses are so squeezable . Sounds like you have had a tough time, I hope the treatment goes well.

Cobbytype

Visit site
They are gorgeous, I miss my donkey so much, one day I will have another. You can't beat donkey cuddles, their noses are so squeezable . Sounds like you have had a tough time, I hope the treatment goes well.

Thank you.

Donkeys are a whole new thing to me, but I'm already very fond of the pair of them. I'm hoping that my grass growth slows down a bit as I don't want them to have too much of a good thing.

I've been pleasantly surprised how settled they are. Both came over and stood for a groom without the need to tie them up and we'll pick their feet out and lead them around a bit today. The bigger donk is the more active of the two and he likes to stand by the gate in order to make a run for it, so I'm hoping I'll be able to channel his enthusiasm for the big wide world and maybe teach him to long rein... or just lead out sensibly for a potter around the village. We'll see:)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
You have to do a lot of negotiating to persuade a donkey that what you want him to do is actually his idea not yours. We had ours for 28 years, when I got him he was pretty wild and was a nightmare for farrier etc but he eventually became great. Ours used to prefer to browse hedgerows rather than graze, since he's been gone I have had to trim the field side of our hawthorn hedge for the first time in years. You may find that electric tape isn't much of a barrier for them ! :)

Cobbytype

Visit site
You have to do a lot of negotiating to persuade a donkey that what you want him to do is actually his idea not yours. We had ours for 28 years, when I got him he was pretty wild and was a nightmare for farrier etc but he eventually became great. Ours used to prefer to browse hedgerows rather than graze, since he's been gone I have had to trim the field side of our hawthorn hedge for the first time in years. You may find that electric tape isn't much of a barrier for them ! :)

My two have been giving the hawthorn hedge some serious pruning. I'm told that Casper isn't good with the farrier or the dentist, so there's work to be done. He had a bad experience with a farrier and is frightened. I'm sure he'd love some clicker training to keep his mind active and once I'm on the mend I'll do a bit with him. The little guy, Victor, just wants kisses and cuddles and is very easy going. I can already see that Casper has a temper and likes to push people around, but I'm hoping that my experience with handling heavy horses (diplomatically) with a stubborn streak will stand me in good stead.