**Mega fast fall on the gallops, with a head-cam video

Spyda

Visit site
The horse ground his brakes on - obviously spooking or napping at something at that part of the track. Rider wouldn't stood much of a chance going from 28mph to 0 in one second flat!

Very glad she's okay!

redriverrock

Visit site
Watched that cringing the whole way!! Was is it the rails that made him stop or had he just had enough?!?
Has your friend had lessons on how to fall gracefully...was a great 'dismount'..

Gucci_b

Visit site
She is fine :) I also thought the same, that kermit (her horse) spooked at something!!! a little way back before her fall, you can see he starts to lower his head, as if something has caught his eye!!!

Cedars

Visit site
Ooh right-looked like she just slid off the side! I was expecting him to spook at the rails but it wasn't noticeable and then she was on the floor!

X

redriverrock

Visit site
Im presuming with the speeds he was going he is/was a racer? Its interesting he spooked at the rails as when I first fetched my ex racer home he refused to go past the white post and rail fences the council put up when there is a ditch alongside the road. 3 years later it is still the only thing he has ever batted an eyelid at?

paulineh

Visit site
Great gallops I train on them quite often.

It could have been the rails or the starting stalls which are just of to the left.

One of mine always spooks going past the jumps but after a couple of times round and he is fine.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
It definitely looked like the white rails that he spooked at - he was anchoring up before he got to them....I had a rather spectacular fall on the gallops on my old ex-racer when he spooked at some grass which looked different to the rest of the grass.....

redriverrock

Visit site
It definitely looked like the white rails that he spooked at - he was anchoring up before he got to them....I had a rather spectacular fall on the gallops on my old ex-racer when he spooked at some grass which looked different to the rest of the grass.....

Well thats enough to scare anyone! They really are strange creatures...why do we do it to ourselves!!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Great vid . . . the bright bay in front, Billy, is stabled at my yard . . . that looked like great fun (until Kermit tipped his rider off).

P

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Oooffffff!!!! Not nice.

Wish I had gallops like that... I get to do that about twice a year after the hay has been cut.

minkymoo

Visit site
Oh hat looks awesome (not the fall bit though!) and am really jelly, am 30 weeks pregnant so haven't had a gallop for a few months..

Glad your friend is ok and how lucky o have gallops nearby! :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Ouch!

My friend Caro had a fall like that on the gallops at work(flat horses). She was ok too but blimming stiff the next morning! Naughty Kermit, I hope he feels guilty!

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
So glad both are OK. I think the horse spooked at the rails, the poor rider didn't have a chance. When you've had a few nasty falls it really turns your stomach to watch it happen to someone else. Do hope she isn't too stiff today.

Bouncy

Visit site
Had to join the forum so I could respond!

That was me and the lovely little Kermit. He is an ex-racer. I've spent the last 2 years re-schooling him and it's the first time we've been to the gallops. I wanted to make sure we had all the controls firmly in place first!

He did spook at the white rails. He hadn't batted an eyelid at them when we went through in walk, trot and canter but in hindsight he was behind the other horse then so was in sheep mode. He stopped so quickly his nose touched the floor! Thankfully he seems perfectly ok and I'm just a bit stiff.

Fantastic gallops and we are so lucky be able to hack to them from our yard. We will definitely be going back soon and doing a bit of desensitisation before attempting to gallop through that bit again. Hopefully the next video will be of several laps of cruising at high speed which is what my boy was born to do and absolutely loves :D