Megazorb

alligator

Visit site
Anyone any experience of using Megazorb? I use large flake dust free shavings now but find I'm using far too many as they not very absorbent and mare is quite wet. Cant keep up with 4 bales a week so looking for absorbent alternative!! Website says you can maintain bed on half a bag a week once the bed is down but would be interested to know what any of you think? Thanks.

icestationzebra

Visit site
I wanted to try it but my nearest supplier is an hour away and it would have cost ££ for delivery - with one horse is just wasn't worth it
frown.gif

Using Equisorb now and really happy with it. My mare was very wet on shavings and this stuff is very absorbant. I put in one bag a week.

spaniel

Visit site
I used it for years before I moved yards (am on shavings at the moment).

Used correctly Megazorb is superb. Once the bed is down the trick is not to fiddle with it no matter how awful it looks, for a couple of weeks. Just take the poo out but allow the base to get wet. It beds down and sticks together and eventually forms a soft mat like structure which I used to take patches out of occasionaly when it sounded squelchy underfoot.

I reckon I used a bale a week to top up but you need to treat it like deep or semi deep litter until its really established. Dont take it out just because it looks damp, it wont have sucked up half of what its capable of! I dug the whole lot out twice a year and it doesnt smell nasty and doesnt get too heavy either.

I heartily recommend it but you cant treat it like other bedding materials, you have to give it time at the beginning.

Sooty

Visit site
It is hugely absorbent, far more so than shavings, and doesn't smell. However, we still use the same number of bales a week (2 or 3) because Beano is a very wet horse. It takes far less time to muck out and costs the same as shavings. We love it!

Happytohack

Visit site
It definitely depends on what sort of horse you have got. I tried it for our big heavy draught horse (weighs 1 tonne). It took 11 bags to start with - he is on rubber matting as well. To start with it was quite dusty. After a week his weight had turned it into something resembling shredded soggy blotting paper so we had to take the whole lot out and he is back on Bed down's Excel which is a mix of shavings and dust-extracted chopped straw. Our local Megazorb supplier has got 2 Arabs and her boxes look great, when I spoke to her about it she agreed with me that it obviously wasn't suitable for heavy horses. Our chap is arthritic as well and lies down a lot in his stable.