MELANOMAS

echofoxtrot

New User
Visit site
whats peoples views on melanomas iv seen a mice mare for sale with one, but dont really know much about them. the guy has said i can have her vetted and checked over throughley, but shes a great mare. perfect height great to handle, jumps hacks. bombproof, hunts, and done endurance.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'd be concerned by them everywhere or lots on a younger horse but otherwise wouldn't bother me. Most greys have them under the dock by their teens & though they can cause serious problems sometimes its not like they all die from them. Mine got her first age 16, now 23 & has about 5 clustered together under her tail. Of all the things that could happen in the future its only a small risk. But like I say, I'd take the age & no into consideration, I'd buy one in its teens with a few under its dock, but would think long & hard about a 8 yr old with one on its face. I'd also try & discover any previous vet records, if the sellers honest he won't mind.

echofoxtrot

New User
Visit site
yes she is grey, she is 11 years old, and its under her tail and about the size of a 50 pence piece, i guess if she does turn out to be the ideal horse then it really should not put me off, as im already on his yard i can do anything with her any time i like so the guy has to be genuine and i can have her on a trial too, hes even offered to pop shoes on her so i can ride her out and stuff

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
My old horse died of internal melanomas. Having been though it once I'd never do it again, it's not the ones you can see that you need to worry about, they can develop them anywhere inside and they don't show symptoms until it is too late.

echofoxtrot

New User
Visit site
awww thats sad. what a shame. my friend thinks i should walk away as i could be facing alot of heart ache with her, but he also says theres plenty of horses on the market at the min without buying one with problems. maybe hes right maybe hes not. i guess its a risk buying any horse. thanks everyone.

Ladydragon

Visit site
I saw some research a little while ago that suggested there might be a protective process at work in greys that helps maintain a benign status for melanomas... As opposed to them being a far more problematic concern in other colours... I can't remember where or by whom or if it's been validated or found incorrect in other studies...

But yes, there are many horses out there so I guess it would depend on how many other boxes the horse ticked...

echofoxtrot

New User
Visit site
she ticks every box, but i found out today that her old owner claimed loss of use as she used to be a very good dressage horse and went lame, so they claimed for her, she has since done jumping hunting beach rides, fun rides and endurance, so unfortunatly i may give her a miss. but thankyou everyone

Equinus

Visit site
I have had a grey with melanomas, and would never have one again. The constant worry about what might be going on that you can't see. My mare died suddenly in her paddock with no warning, though she had not long had a health check. Although she didn't have a huge amount of melanomas, mostly under her tail and not very big. (not as big as a 50p piece) She was 28 when she died and there is a possibility that she had internal melanomas, though looked really well.

I just wouldn't want the worry again.

galaxy

Visit site
lost my horse at 17 to them. Would never buy another grey.

Remember that if you have her vetted your insurance company will exclude and then any future problem you have that could even possibly be caused by them will not be covered.

My boy ran up a £4k vets bill in 4 months before he was PTS.

Personally I would walk away, but then..... I've been through the heart ache...

echofoxtrot

New User
Visit site
i was just about to say i have definatley decided to walk away on this one my friend says theres plenty more horses on the market anyway, i have had enough heart ache and want to avoid more if i can, not going to risk getting attached falling in love and risk loosing her at the end of it, and yes she would have been vetted too,