Mendip Farmers Attack

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
HUNTING PROTEST - SEVEN IN COURT
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

14:00 - 03 August 2006
Anti-hunt demonstrators from Wells appeared in court this week accused of attacking members of the Mendip Farmers' Hunt.

Margaret Purchase, aged 42, and Shaun Baker, 45, both of Mullins Close, are charged with using or threatening unlawful violence during an incident on Saturday 18 March. Their conduct, alleged prosecutor Nick Barr, was such as would "cause a person of reasonable firmness to fear for his or her personal safety".

They appeared alongside five youths from the Wells and Frome areas, all under 16 years of age, who were not required to enter pleas and magistrates in Frome made an order that their identities should not be disclosed.

Mr Barr told the court that Mrs Purchase and Mr Baker were members of the League Against Cruel Sports.

He alleged that the charges related to an incident on Saturday 18 March, when a Land Rover Discovery containing Mendip Farmers' Hunt supporters was attacked as it descended Bristol Hill, entering Wells near a wooded area known as The Combe at the entrance to College Road.

Magistrates decided to send the trial to crown court and the hearing was adjourned for eight weeks to allow for the preparation of crown court committal papers. All of the accused were granted unconditional bail and asked to return to court in September.

The Mendip Farmers' Hunt covers a wide area of Avon and Somerset including Shepton Mallet and Wells and has remained active since the Government banned fox hunting with hounds.

It now uses fake scents for dogs to pursue, known as drag or trail hunting, with regular meetings continuing to take place during its hunting season which runs from November into late March.

The League Against Cruel Sports was established in 1924 and is the UK's leading animal welfare group in campaigning to end occurrences of cruelty to animals in hunting and other sports.

(Western Gazette 2006)

Funny how this never made the national press. Peaceful old LACS...

Exmoor_Blairite

Visit site
What this account does not mention is that the LACS monitors were allegedly being followed by a car full of hunt supporters.

I'm afraid there's a history of Mendip hunters attacking these monitors. For example, John Edward Wedmore, terrierman for the Mendip Farmers, was found guilty of three counts of assault after he launched an attack on three LACS monitors. More recently a middle-aged Somerset man was hit twice on the head with a metal tipped staff by a follower of the Mendip Farmers. Unbelievably the offender was merely cautioned.

Why do hunters think they're above the law?

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
I think that as long as they kept to a safe stopping distance.

I follow cars all the time. It's hard not to traffic being what it is today.

Then again next time someone is driving behind me, maybe I'll just stop and beat them up. I'm sure I could claim extenuating circumstances.

How about our debate ELB, given up?

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
ZOMG - Claire - don't be an idiot!

Tis like when the hunt members ride down sabs...

nothing at ALL To do with the fact the sabs are standing in front of half a ton of horse flesh galloping after hounds (in fairness, most likely ridden by a very pissed toff who couldn't even steer the thing if it wasn't bolting through the sheer joy of following hounds...) that not even a shotgun could stop at that range...

I have only one thing to say to those sorts of antis.... DUUUUR!!!

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
Claire you shouldn't allege that the sabs were 'following' a hunt. You might upset Exmoor Loves Blair. He considers that a justification to beat people up.

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
If your comrades actions were as alleged in the court. Do you approve of them ELB?

Do you think they were justified and if so why?

If not why not?

Do you think they should be prosecuted?

Do you think what they did was worse than Tony Wright failing to shoot foxes?

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
It would seem to appear that attacks on the pro-hunting fraternity are becoming more frequent and more savage. Is this anything to do with the fact the ban they waited so long for, turned out to be not quite what they expected? That we are still able to work within the loopholes?

AlanE

Visit site
Don't talk wet,ELB! As an anti, you know very well that your motivation has zero to do with animal welfare and everything to do with trying to attack, aggravate and provoke hunt followers. The latest case with Tony Wright merely demonstrates that you people are bully boys on the level of cockroaches: all you can do is take an honest man, earning the minimum wage, to court. Don't think that just because you have money from the other dubious 'animal rights' orgs behind you, you can trample on the rest of us!

CARREG

Visit site
Dont look to good for them if they've been commited to Crown, almost certainly a custodial sentance if they're found guilty [fingers crossed]............Carreg