Messy Stable - Human not the horse!

Courbette

Visit site
My share horses stable is often like a teenage bedsit with uncollected haynets and buckets. This week I went up to find he had 5 haynets and 5 feed buckets buckets so one for every meal since the weekend and it is a fairly regular occurrence. Is this common for the time pressed horse owner or am I justified in being a bit put out? It just seems a bit odd not to remove them as you go. I hate the haynets being left in as they tangle on the one ring and can be a pain to undo in bulk.

This coupled with me sometimes suspecting his bed is also not being properly mucked out the night before I'm due has left me feeling a bit like the maid! I did consider leaving the haynets and buckets but couldn't bring myself to leave the horse with the clutter.

little_critter

Visit site
Are you the owner or the sharer (not that it should make a difference, it's bad manners either way).
No, I don't leave nets and feed bowls in the stable....I don't have that many nets and bowls for a start! but even so, I wouldn't leave them.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
not normal!
Though my YO just ties up the next net without taking the previous one out, but I am assisted DIY so I tidy it up when I'm there later in the day.

lar

Visit site
That brings to mind one of the bits of BHS training that still sticks in my mind years later "First strip your stable" ie remove all nets and feed buckets before you start. I'm not sure how you actually could muck out with feed buckets in situ!

be positive

Visit site
That brings to mind one of the bits of BHS training that still sticks in my mind years later "First strip your stable" ie remove all nets and feed buckets before you start. I'm not sure how you actually could muck out with feed buckets in situ!

First thing I do is remove the feed bowl, then net and water bucket before mucking out, how can you do a proper job with feed buckets lying about randomly, if I arrived and found several feed bowls I would suspect the mucking out had not been done at all.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
No it’s not normal although I’ve been in a similar situation when I was a sharer. The only time I’d have more than one net up would be if a day net hadn’t been finished before adding a night net but both would be removed the next day. Removing all by nets and buckets/ mangers is always done before starting mucking out.

Courbette

Visit site
Well thats cheered me up as I though I was being grumpy. I'm the sharer :)

I think that's why it annoys me as the first thing I do is remove the nets, feed and water buckets and it is just extra chores that add up sorting and cleaning the above and obviously I worry about them getting in the horses way. The buckets are usually in a pile but I have pulled the odd one from his bed.

pansymouse

Visit site
It constantly amazes me the amount of crap people keep in stables; mine has mats, bedding, a water bucket inside a large tub trug, hay on the floor and a rubber feeding bowl which comes out as soon as the horse has finished eating - nothing else. Other people's seem to be glorified store rooms with a corner for the horse if it's luck. I'm not blessed with any storage included in my livery; I pay extra for it - the same price as I pay for the stable.

conniegirl

Visit site
Mine can occasionally have a couple of buckets or nets in there by the time I get to him. but no more than 2 of each.
Pony has his overnight net in and the farmer goes round at about 5am and ties a morning net up for every horse on the yard, farmer also pops morning feeds in if you leave them out so if you left the evening feed bucket in you end up with 2 buckets in the stable.

If there were more than 2 of each then I would suspect the stable hasnt been done.

Michen

Visit site
Nope not normal at all in my opinion. Equally though, you are the sharer- it's not actually "harming" the horse, so not really up to you. If it annoys you too much probably best to find another share.

9tails

Visit site
How odd!

I have plastic feed tubs so they're removed straight after she's finished her meal. I don't want her to tread on them as they then break. Those horrid rubber buckets eventually split and are a terror for getting clean if they're left too.

There's only a maximum of two nets hung up at any one time, that's only when she's particularly hungry and I can't fit it in one.

What suprises me is the number of people who install one of those low garden storage boxes then get the hump with the horse when they put their foot through it. Stables are for eating and sleeping, not an obstacle course.

beingachicken

Visit site
Maybe the owner is super busy? (Trying to find excuses 😂)
No not something I’d ever do because apart from anything how do you muck out and sweep round properly without removing stuff?! I am guilty of leaving bits and bobs in my horses stable, but up on the kick board ledge! Years ago I had a cribber and we attached rails (as in from post and rail fencing) round the top of the kick boards so if he damaged anything it was just the rail and easy to replace.... it’s made a very convenient storage area all round 😳

skint1

Visit site
I have to hang my horses rugs in their stables but I try and do this as unobtrusively as possible, otherwise it's just net and bowls that they're currently eating from and their water. I think for you as a sharer, it's prob just one of those things you might have to look past if you otherwise enjoy the horse

Courbette

Visit site
It's not something I have come across either! I agree, not something I can necessarily change and is something I've always been aware of with this particular horse. The problem just seems to be snowballing of late.

I rarely cross paths with the owner or I'd just make a joke of it and ask why the horse is hoarding his dinnerware :p

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
As someone on a yard with teenagers - some are pretty bad for leaving stuff lying around outside, hanging on doors and in the stables. Drives me mad. But if you are the sharer there is not much you can do about it really.

Courbette

Visit site
As someone on a yard with teenagers - some are pretty bad for leaving stuff lying around outside, hanging on doors and in the stables. Drives me mad. But if you are the sharer there is not much you can do about it really.

Lead by example and clear it up ;) I think I could start a sharers anonymous thread and then equally there could be one for the tidy owners with the messy sharers