Metabolic Syndrome

kirstiegrogan

Visit site
My Pony Katie found out tuesday that she has it
I am so upset!
frown.gif

Shes got lamintis and its not clearing, so we got blood tests done and it came back this metabolic syndrome
its a form of cusions disease but not as serious
she is going on tablets which are £40-£50 a packet and she has 1 everyday at the exact same time
she will live a normal life (being rode, garzing ect) but will be on a special diet
she has to go on 6 months box rest and the tabets shes going on make them naughty

up to now we've had 2 sets of x-rays one and loads of vet call out fee's its cost us a bomb

brightmount

Visit site
Sorry for you, but at least you know what it is and how to treat it.

Have you got insurance? It would cover her first year at least.

wizgirl

Visit site
Really sorry to hear your news. I recently had my horse checked out for this as he was having a number of the symptoms, but thank goodness not the lameness. It turned out to be severe bronchitis, but while Wiz was in Liverpool, the vet who suspected the metabolic syndrome was really positive about treatment for metabolic syndrome and that Wiz would have a pretty normal life etc once all the symptoms were under control. I know it's no consolation, but at least it can be contolled and then all should be well. Goodluck and let us know how it goes.

Doublethyme

Visit site
So sorry to hear your horse has been diagnosed with metabolic syndrome.

There is a lot you can do to control this with diet and supplements and there is a Yahoo Metabolic Horse Group which has a wealth of information and people on there who really know their stuff on this subject.

Link to Yahoo Group. The Metabolic Horse Yahoo Group

Also, the lady that runs the Metabolic Horse Group, also runs a company called The Metabolic Horse which supplies supplements which have specifically shown to help horses with Metabolic problems. I believe her details are available on the Group in the files section, but if you can't find them PM me and I can send them to you.

kirstiegrogan

Visit site
hiya people thanks a billion
you've really helped
as the vet said she will have good and bad days and 2 days on the run shes been amazing and only a tad lame on her front

i got the tablets today so hopefully they should kick in soon