Metal pantile effect roof sheets

spacie1977

Visit site
The heritage department are being difficult about the roofing I want in my planning application for stables. Apparently only clay pantiles will do. Crazy and irrational as it is, it's prohibitively expensive so I have to look for an alternative affordable roofing similar in appearance so I can hopefully appease them enough to get the application approved. Google searches have come up with metal sheet roofing that comes in a pantile effect instead of corrugated. It looks smart. Does anyone here have this roofing, and if so, can you tell me whether it sounds like you're in a tin can being shot by a machine gun when you're in the stable and it's raining? I imagine metal roofing is noisy. It it's apparently got a plastic coating so wondering if that dampens the noise.

cundlegreen

Visit site
The heritage department are being difficult about the roofing I want in my planning application for stables. Apparently only clay pantiles will do. Crazy and irrational as it is, it's prohibitively expensive so I have to look for an alternative affordable roofing similar in appearance so I can hopefully appease them enough to get the application approved. Google searches have come up with metal sheet roofing that comes in a pantile effect instead of corrugated. It looks smart. Does anyone here have this roofing, and if so, can you tell me whether it sounds like you're in a tin can being shot by a machine gun when you're in the stable and it's raining? I imagine metal roofing is noisy. It it's apparently got a plastic coating so wondering if that dampens the noise.

Yes, I've got it. Looks very smart and easy to put up, as the company I used cut it to exactly the right length. Downside is the sligtest whisper of rain can be heard inside the boxes, and a nervous type probably wouldn't be too happy. They do also have condensation issues, and the horses occasionally get dripped on as things melt. I haven't bothered, but other people put plywood sheets under the metal to avoid this.

crabbymare

Visit site
with ply type sheets underneath its good and easy to use. yes you can hear the rain but both you the horses soon get used to it and most of the time they ignore it as its no worse than it hitting windows.

spacie1977

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
Hmm.. I plan to use part of the stable block as an art studio so wonder just how relaxing it will be being hammered by rain. Maybe there's an insulation I can put under the roof that won't cost the earth as it's already turning out to be an expensive build.
Do you think the stables get hotter during the summer than if using a different roofing material?

cundlegreen

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
Hmm.. I plan to use part of the stable block as an art studio so wonder just how relaxing it will be being hammered by rain. Maybe there's an insulation I can put under the roof that won't cost the earth as it's already turning out to be an expensive build.
Do you think the stables get hotter during the summer than if using a different roofing material?

Just put some insulation between the ply and metal if you are worried about the noise. I haven't noticed any difference in heat or cold since fitting.

popsdosh

Visit site
Have you mentioned the art studio in your application as that may also cause issues down the line. By the time you have lined and insulated the roof pantiles wont be that pricey.

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
We are in aonb & conservation officers are savage! We have the metal roof on the barn & it looks amazing! They supplied it with insulation already attached which was cost effective and fast. No condensation problems :)

spacie1977

Visit site
We are in aonb & conservation officers are savage! We have the metal roof on the barn & it looks amazing! They supplied it with insulation already attached which was cost effective and fast. No condensation problems :)
Oooh that sounds good! I haven't found any yet with insulation attached. Do you remember what company the metal roof was produced by?

spacie1977

Visit site
Have you mentioned the art studio in your application as that may also cause issues down the line. By the time you have lined and insulated the roof pantiles wont be that pricey.
If you're thinking about commercial rates/running a business that's not an issue as it'll just be for personal use. The 'art studio' will be the tack room as far as the planners are concerned, as it's up to me what I do with the tack room once it's built (no one complains about a spare stable being used as a storage room). I'll keep bridles in it and a few other bits and pieces but will keep my saddles in the house as I can't afford to replace them after coughing up for new stables.