Mice...

CastleMouse

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone here has ever had a mouse problem in their tack/feed room? A friend of mine has a really bad mouse problem in her feed/tack room (and it is unbelievably clean and tidy in there), and they seem to be coming from the ceilings, and it must be quite a serious problem as I'm pretty sure mice are nocturnal. She has seen quite a lot of them running around.
crazy.gif
If you did, what did you do about it? She was thinking of using mouse traps, any ideas??

Tia

Visit site
Yes they would AND DO eat through your rugs!
shocked.gif

I had a small influx of cute little mice about 5 years ago in my feed/tack room - they munched through my very good woollen travel rugs and I was so incensed that I went out and bought 2 kittens to live in the barn. They really did work! I'm not sure they actually caught many mice but the smell of them around seemed to be enough to deter the mice and they moved on.

Cats are really the only way to go. Why don't you see if there are any semi-feral ones available at the local rescue centre.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Galvanised bins for everything. You don't want mouse wee and poo in your feed, and rat wee and poo is def toxic.

We had a mouse that used to come for 'his barley ring' every morning - everything else is kept strictly away from vermin.

Clodagh

Visit site
You can buy mouse bait boxes and poison for them and country type stores, they seem to work, particulary if it is kept pretty clean so theres not too much alternative food. Traps are pretty rubbish, IMO, just one at a time!!

CastleMouse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Galvanised bins for everything. You don't want mouse wee and poo in your feed, and rat wee and poo is def toxic.

[/ QUOTE ]
She has feed bins for everything, so no risk of the mice getting at the food. She just keeps all her rugs and tack in there and doesn't want them to get ruined, plus she isn't a huge fan of having mice climbing along shelves and running around her feet
crazy.gif

CastleMouse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You can buy mouse bait boxes and poison for them and country type stores, they seem to work, particulary if it is kept pretty clean so theres not too much alternative food. Traps are pretty rubbish, IMO, just one at a time!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, will recommend that to her!
smile.gif

not_with_it

Visit site
They chew through everything! We had loads last year and they were a pain. They ate through feed bins, a wooden storage chest, sponges seem to be their favourite, plastic bottles with cod liver oil in, rugs and everything else you can think off. They lived in the radio. They dont seem too bad this year, not seen half as many.

merlinsquest

Visit site
If you use traps then bait them with CHOCOLATE!!! Cheese just dont seem to work anymore!!

Dont they watch Tom and Jerry???

Tried cheese..... mouse 1 me 0

chocolate ......... mouse 0 me 2..... no more chewed stuff so obviously go the marital couple before they could do their mousey love thing!!!
blush.gif

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Chocolate coated raisins are best on the proper pingly wood and wire traps. Having unfortunately had a lot of experience in this it is the only way I would go. Bait is a slow death - and you may find the mouldering corpses days later. Pingy traps - ok they only kill one at a time - but they do kill instantly and easy to tidy up.

CastleMouse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They chew through everything! We had loads last year and they were a pain. They ate through feed bins, a wooden storage chest, sponges seem to be their favourite, plastic bottles with cod liver oil in, rugs and everything else you can think off. They lived in the radio. They dont seem too bad this year, not seen half as many.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh my god!
shocked.gif
They're nasty little things to have
crazy.gif

RachelMcTimoney

www.mctimoney4animals.com
I wish we had mice.... we have rats too! i saw one the other evening so WAR has broken out! i put poison out in a safe place along one of their runs in a waxed cardboard carton....in the morning the posion and and the card tub had gone.......never to be seen again, i can only think that they ran off with the box and the poison....HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN i think i'm going mad!!!

Foxford

Visit site
Peanut butter on a trap. Apparently they can't resist it! I had them in a student house once. One got into my room and kept me up all night - urgh!! They are not strictly nocturnal, but are more active at night, in my experience!

Chex

Visit site
I seem to have tons of mice and rats in my feed/tack room. So far they've only eaten into a bag of feed which I stupidly left out. My friens has had a few rugs chewed through though! The farmer has a man out to put poison down, they don't seem to eat it though.