Micklem bridle - do you ride differently?

sarahann1

Visit site
I started using a Micklem on my mare a couple of weeks ago. To my novice mind, she's accepting the bit/contact better and working up and into an outline from behind better, it could be coincidence or it might not be, either way, so far so good as far as I'm concerned.

However, I had a lesson tonight and my instructor basically hates them, they didn't come out and say as much, but I know them well enough to know when they dislike something. I was told I'd need to use my hands differently because the bit is cradled, that it's more difficult to steer using one (so far, I've had no problems, if anything I've felt it easier) that they increase poll pressure and cause pressure where the browband meets the headpiece.

Has anyone had any of the above experiences with them? Have you had to change to 'ride the Micklem way'?

Queenbee

Visit site
I started using a Micklem on my mare a couple of weeks ago. To my novice mind, she's accepting the bit/contact better and working up and into an outline from behind better, it could be coincidence or it might not be, either way, so far so good as far as I'm concerned.

However, I had a lesson tonight and my instructor basically hates them, they didn't come out and say as much, but I know them well enough to know when they dislike something. I was told I'd need to use my hands differently because the bit is cradled, that it's more difficult to steer using one (so far, I've had no problems, if anything I've felt it easier) that they increase poll pressure and cause pressure where the browband meets the headpiece.

Has anyone had any of the above experiences with them? Have you had to change to 'ride the Micklem way'?

look up my post history - about three months ago... I was a sudden walking posting micklem convert/advert! The change in the beast was immediate, he was more upright, less on his forehand, much more relaxed early session... softer, more willing and responsive... For the first time in years I can compete him in a snaffle.

I understand your instructors hesitancy... right up until I tried one on ben - I believed it was a gimick, that it could not possibly do all that!

I would say that yes, my riding style has changed... but only because the effect that the bridle has is it makes him more immediately responsive to the aids, more relaxed and less fussy/argumentative, so my riding is quieter, I do less, my aids can be more subtle, and that in turn makes him better and better... its a beneficial circle.

That being said, if you are riding with the hooks/clips in place, for some it works, for mine it didn't... I felt that just having those seemed to dull the contact, he battled more with them in than without... having clips in, I could see the reasoning behind your instructors description of it 'cradling them'- Problem is, some horses ride better with the 'cradling' effect of the clips, some don't, in my mind if the ride better with it in, its because it is a better way of going - riding differently to try and negate that effect is pointless and counter productive IMO.

As for poll pressure, what the hell?... if my instructor tried to tell me that I would sack her, try standing on someones foot with the heel of a stiletto, then try with the heel of your yard boot... you get my drift? The headpiece is designed wide to spread the pressure out, not centralise it for more impact... and if the browband is causing pressure... then it is not fitted properly by the owner/rider, the entire design of this bridle is to cause the least amount of pressure possible...

Sorry... but she sounds a little bit bonkers :/

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
I ride a lot of different horses and also do some instructing and like many people thought the micklem was just another gimmick/ shortcut but when my own horse was having issues and I also needed a new bridle I decided to give a micklem a try, it hasn't worked miracles but the horse certainly seemed happier, I have had absolutely no more problems steering than I had previously, your instructor should remember you "steer" with your legs and seat not just with the reins, there is certainly LESS poll pressure, less pressure on any point of the face, which is why I bought mine, and that the many many pro riders who are now using them at top level cannot all be wrong or driven by clever marketing.

As an instructor/ trainer I like to be open to new ideas, always remember that the horse will let you know if it likes or dislikes something and that no piece of equipment can really be that offensive that I could "hate" it, I may hate the way it gets used but the equipment itself, especially a simple bridle cannot be that bad, a closed mind to changes is not the way forward in training we need to look forward and move on, if she is that closed to something then maybe she is not the best trainer you could be using.

eggs

Visit site
One of my horses is definitely improved in the contact with the Micklem although it wasn't a great success when I tried using the bit clips so now I ride him without them. He was previously in an Elevator and is in the same bit.

My instructor is absolutely not a fan of the Micklem and was rather horrified when he first saw it but agrees that the horse is better in it. I certainly did not notice any difference in my ability to steer but then I don't rely on my reins so steer anyway!

Equi

Visit site
I've found a big difference in my horse so has his old rider and my instructor. I've not changed anything if anything I ride lighter and easier.

Annagain

Visit site
look up my post history - about three months ago... I was a sudden walking posting micklem convert/advert! The change in the beast was immediate, he was more upright, less on his forehand, much more relaxed early session... softer, more willing and responsive... For the first time in years I can compete him in a snaffle.

I understand your instructors hesitancy... right up until I tried one on ben - I believed it was a gimick, that it could not possibly do all that!

I would say that yes, my riding style has changed... but only because the effect that the bridle has is it makes him more immediately responsive to the aids, more relaxed and less fussy/argumentative, so my riding is quieter, I do less, my aids can be more subtle, and that in turn makes him better and better... its a beneficial circle.

That being said, if you are riding with the hooks/clips in place, for some it works, for mine it didn't... I felt that just having those seemed to dull the contact, he battled more with them in than without... having clips in, I could see the reasoning behind your instructors description of it 'cradling them'- Problem is, some horses ride better with the 'cradling' effect of the clips, some don't, in my mind if the ride better with it in, its because it is a better way of going - riding differently to try and negate that effect is pointless and counter productive IMO.

As for poll pressure, what the hell?... if my instructor tried to tell me that I would sack her, try standing on someones foot with the heel of a stiletto, then try with the heel of your yard boot... you get my drift? The headpiece is designed wide to spread the pressure out, not centralise it for more impact... and if the browband is causing pressure... then it is not fitted properly by the owner/rider, the entire design of this bridle is to cause the least amount of pressure possible...

Sorry... but she sounds a little bit bonkers :/

This. All of it! In fact it was Queenbee's post that made me try it. See my post "I have a new horse" a few weeks back. I've owned this horse 11 years and no amount of schooling or lessons have changed him. I was so sceptical about it but the Micklem did change him and it was instant. I now feel terrible that he was uncomfortable for 11 years! I tried it mainly at camp. We had lessons with 4 different instructors - 1 who knows him really well, 1 who's seen him a few times and 2 for the first time. The one who knows him said she was sceptical about them too but she's never seen a horse to whom it's made a bigger difference. The one who had seen him a few times likes them and said it really suits him. The 2 who hadn't seen him before didn't believe me when I described him as on the forehand, fussy in his mouth, tense and argumentative. They saw a polite, happy, loose, co-operative boy. I did medium trot on him for the first time in 11 years - I've always been too worried about a lack of brakes to try in the past!

9tails

Visit site
Mine was also an instant change, I didn't expect miracles but head shaking and yawing has completely ceased. I don't ride any differently, but I am riding a different horse. I haven't used the clips.

sarahann1

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone, glad I'm not getting it wrong or have made a dud purchase.

I don't use the clips, they seemed a bit too much clutter for my liking. I'm finding once she's going nicely, she's incredibly light in my hand in the trot, it's lovely, I need to get the same feeling in canter now. :)

The steering comment nearly made me laugh out loud last night, that's what I'm trying to fix with my seat/legs not my reins! I have another couple of instructors I use from time to time, I'll see what they say.

Annagain

Visit site
I don't use the clips as they're not dressage legal so didn't want to start something, have it work and then not be able to use them. I did try them once out of interest but didn't notice much difference.

scats

Visit site
I would seriously look into getting a different instructor if she believes the majority of your steering comes from your hand anyway!

I thought the Micklem was a gimmick, but I'm willing to try things and I am now converted. Dessage cob goes very sweetly in one and I am now able to take her on farm rides in a snaffle rather than a kimblewick. She is very soft, light and pliable in the Micklem.

Dougal9

Visit site
I've just gone back to a normal bridle for my boy - we gave the Micklem a good 2 months but he is an odd shape and I think we were trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. He was in the Cob size, which seemed to fit well but there was always a question mark on the headpiece and poll pressure. We are now in a cavesson with a full headpiece (SD Crown) and brow band (fancy sparkly one from Equiture), cob nose band and cheek pieces and he seems much happier and obliging. The theory is great behind the Micklem but they are not there yet on the sizing for those of us with horses who are inbetween sizes. :) However, I didn't need to ride him any differently either when he was in the Micklem !

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I have to say I wouldn't use that instructor again. Every horse is different, so whilst you may not like a piece of kit, if you are teaching and a horse is going well in a bit of kit you don't rate then you tech the person on that horse regardless and not be prejudiced against it.

I hate martingales. Detest them with a passion but they are a good piece of kit for a horse who jams their head up your nose, I would rather not use one but I wouldn't put anyone else off having one of it was needed or worked, just my non instructor view of things like the OP deacribed

oldie48

Visit site
In the Micklem I have a happier horse, even putting the bridle on I've noticed a difference. If I ride differently it's because I'm not in an argument with him and no it has had no effect on my steering but I no longer have any resistance from him. One of my trainers suggested I use a micklem and agrees that he is so much happier, the other just ignores it and thinks he's improved from correct training, I suspect he thinks it's just a bit of a fad! However, I'd get rid of any trainer who couldn't see the difference!