Micklem Bridle Sizing and Noseband/Bit Recommendations Please..

Javabb94

Visit site
Firstly the micklem - my local tack shop had 20% of Micklems, I had always wanted to give one a go so bought one.

Standard horse said 14.3hh large head to 16.3hh fine head. Well my horse is 15.2hh TB x Appaloosa so thought this would be perfect.

Tried on and was on top hole of cheeks but still tight on loosest bottom strap and on drop? It seemed tight across his poll so quickly took off!

Won't bother with large horse as will be too long on cheeks - disappointing!

I'm also considering trying new noseband/bit. He is in a grackle and loop ring snaffle for jumping with a French link mouthpiece but I still find he isn't totally settled in his mouth- sometimes pulls downwards.

For flat I use a plain cavesson with loose ring snaffle with French link, I find he can be quite rigid through his head, he has improved massively but still a bit to go so was thinking off changing tack/bit as think this could be an issue as does open his mouth.

He has quite fleshy tongue also.

I'm thinking of trying a drop noseband but don't have one, will have to see if I can borrow off someone as I think they are quite a useful piece of Kit so would be interesting to give it a go!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Pity about the Micklem. The standard horse size fitted my 13hh gypsy cob on the top holes on the cheekpiece. It's usually the cob types that are difficult to fit, not the finer ones. My 15.3 hh maxicob has the large horse.

Just checking, did you follow the diagram that comes with the Micklem as to exactly how to fit it? There is quite a lot of adjustment available, and it has to be 'just so'.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I couldn't get the Micklem to fit my horse either. His head is apparently too short and too wide. I had the small horse size so the next size up would be too long for him, even if the width was OK.

I have tried him in a drop in the past and he really doesn't like it. Same with a grackle. He is happiest and most settled in a cavesson with fairly loose flash, and NS Verbindend, so sticking with that now. Shame as I really liked the ethos behind the Micklem.

Super_starz

Visit site
I wanted to try a micklem but have just ordered a cheap drop from eskdale to try first!
Did they return the micklem ok?

You could look at bomber bits, mines happy in their happy tongue bit, but not convinced my grackle or flash is right for her & she's to strong jumping in a plain cavesson ...

longdog

Visit site
Why don't you see if you can get the offending straps altered? We have a small horse on our 16hh TB (usually wears a cob size bridle) & daughter is v pleased with the difference it seems to have made to her horse

Javabb94

Visit site
Pity about the Micklem. The standard horse size fitted my 13hh gypsy cob on the top holes on the cheekpiece. It's usually the cob types that are difficult to fit, not the finer ones. My 15.3 hh maxicob has the large horse.

Just checking, did you follow the diagram that comes with the Micklem as to exactly how to fit it? There is quite a lot of adjustment available, and it has to be 'just so'.

Yes followed exactly. It just didn't sit right either - strange. He doesn't have a fine head but not massive!

I couldn't get the Micklem to fit my horse either. His head is apparently too short and too wide. I had the small horse size so the next size up would be too long for him, even if the width was OK.

I have tried him in a drop in the past and he really doesn't like it. Same with a grackle. He is happiest and most settled in a cavesson with fairly loose flash, and NS Verbindend, so sticking with that now. Shame as I really liked the ethos behind the Micklem.

I tried my NS Trans Angled Lozenge with a plain cavesson yesterday but he was opening his mouth, be interesting to try the drop

I wanted to try a micklem but have just ordered a cheap drop from eskdale to try first!
Did they return the micklem ok?

You could look at bomber bits, mines happy in their happy tongue bit, but not convinced my grackle or flash is right for her & she's to strong jumping in a plain cavesson ...

Yeah returned - think I will try a drop, how much from eskdale?

Why don't you see if you can get the offending straps altered? We have a small horse on our 16hh TB (usually wears a cob size bridle) & daughter is v pleased with the difference it seems to have made to her horse

Thing is they were too short the two straps so not sure how it could be altered! Thanks though

The miklem shouldn't be as loose as a normal bridle, ie two fingers width on the noseband etc but shouldn't be tight either. Just snug iykwim? I would also second trying to have it altered as my mare loves hers! I always use KK ultra snaffles as I like the way they sit in the mouth and on the tongue.

It was almost like pressing down on his poll?

HBM1

Visit site
There is a very good video on you tube with William showing how to fit a Micklem. The correct way to fit the headpiece is different to the photo on the horsewear ad too! Not sure about the diagram as I only followed William's video. Also there is overlap between sizes so a large horse may have been fine. I bought a large horse size as my boy would have been at the top end of the standard, the sizings are confusing.

doonrocket

Visit site
I have asked for a Micklem for Christmas, He goes OK in his standard noseband and snaffle but I liked the look of the science behind it. Part of me thinks if it ain't broke - don't fix it, but thinking and ID x with a nice shaped head shuldn't have any problems with the fir or problems with rubbing. Apart from the rubbing not seen much in the way of -ves, anyone had trouble fitting, or wish they hadn't changed?