Micklem Bridle. Worth the money.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Posted on here a few weeks ago asking opinions as was considering buying one although I must admit (sheepishly) that it was more for how they looked than reasoning behind them. Well, got quite good feedback so flogged a load of things on eBay and bought one.

Ive been happy with it and horse seemed ok, no different to be honest, maybe I was expecting some sort of miracle change of going. That is until today....... I had my first lesson in it and my horse turned into a Dressage Diva. She's a gobby, fidgety mouthed, get my tongue over the bit at every opportunity and snatch down (horse not instructor).

She was loads quieter in the mouth, mouthed up like a froth machine, came up through her shoulders and was so light in my hands. Still in her NS bit so nothing other than the bridle had changed (I used to ride in a drop noseband because of the 'mouth action').

So if you're umming and arring about buying one I'd say go for it. My instructor was very impressed with it also. (I'm not on any commision, just a happy bunny ;))

kezimac

Visit site
so glad about this - I have bought one - my mare will start to come back into work hopefully this weekend after an operation and am really hoping for a difference in this bridle!!!!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
I have been umming and arring for a while regarding the micklem... I just thought it looked quite 'flimsy' :S

I bought the competition one and it's very well made with good quality leather, if thats what you mean by flimsy ?. Having spent similar on decent showing bridle I haven't thought it inferior quality. Instructor thought it was well worth it. I sussed the bridle out at my local saddlers first so did see it 'in the flesh' first. Oh and the comp one somes with reins........

Goldenstar

Visit site
I love mine and got about six months after they came out it it's one of the ones with the ring at the front for lunging it's great for giving a quick lunge before you ride no more fiddling on with cavessons and nosebands we lead horses in them when we ride and lead I think the way the bit fits on makes it more comfrotable for them the only black Mark is that one of the keepers on the cheek pieces have broken but it's had loads of use, also I have never tried it as a bit less so can't comment on that.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
What did you pay and where from, can any bit be used with them?

In my local saddlers they were £140 for the competition bridle, they didn't have the multi purpose one so dont know how much although that one didn't come with reins.

I got mine from eBay for £116 inc postage. I use a hanging cheek with mine. If you google Micklem it comes up with the concept behind the design. I'll PM you the company I got mine from as prob be classed as advertising it I posted here.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I have one for my mare who has just come back into work after 5 yrs off! I love it, hard to tell if difference in horses behaviour is due to time off it bridle but either way am very glad I brought one! :D

BlueFire710

Visit site
If anyone who has posted on this in the past could indicate what their horse is like that they used it on i'd really appreciate it. Sorry to hijack!

One of mine is a showjumper that goes very well in a mild hackamore (looseish noseband, short shank) but i don't have the turning control i get with a snaffle and he's one that you have to work to keep dead straight, and if he's not obviously affects his jump, and i find this harder in hackamore. I do jump him in a loose ring lozenge snaffle when i can but he does try and get tongue over bit if flash not tight and can have a buck if pressure is put on with the snaffle (and i just mean a firm half halt) i.e. he seems to feel the snaffle closes him in a bit. He's a real power jumper with an engine of a back end. Anyway, to get to the point finally, i was wondering if the micklem might be an in-betweeny between the snaffle (and flash) and the hackamore (can't go without flash due to tongue and lots of fussy) i.e. so i can have the control of the snaffle for turns etc but not as much pressure and that he'd be happy in. The last thing i want is a stronger bridle which is my worry with the micklem as he is already sensitive to the snaffle as explained.

Any thoughts on its suitability would be fantastic! Many Thanks!

SO1

Visit site
I think I am going to have to sell mine as the fit is not great the noseband is too small for my pony I punched another hole in it but there is no way I could use it on the caveson setting but I am still not happy with the fit and I bought a small horse size one so not the smallest size either.

The nose band and headpiece are one section so it is not even possible to take the noseband off and buy the next size up nose band.