Micklem Bridle

Tempi

Visit site
Has anyone got one?

If so why did you buy it in the first place? And views on whether its made any difference or not?

I really want to try one, but they are a lot of money (for me anyway) and I dont want to buy one and then it makes no difference at all. I did see there was a place I could hire one from which is one option.

Tempi

Visit site
I really want to try one too, so pleased that you can now hire them! Have been waiting on this.... :)

You have to pay the full price of the bridle and then if you dont want it after two weeks (or however long you choose) then you have to post it back special delivery and they will refund you the amount of the bridle less the hire fee.

MillionDollar

Visit site
I haven't personally but one of my liveries (who competes at Adv BD) bought one for her KWPN mare who started sticking her tongue out and had contact issues. She thought it made a difference, and the mare stopped sticking her tongue out straight away, she used it for schooling for a few months but now only uses it for hacking.

Have also heard others saying it transformed their horse/ or made no difference, so I suppose it's like most things....and depends what you are wanting it for :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have had one for several years it is used every single day originally I bought it with lunging in mind so I could lunge a young one them quickly get on with minimum time spent adjusting tack its great for lunging, we always use it on the non ridden horse when riding and leading.
I also have a horse with a problem with his jaw and has issues with diastemas in his mouth it has make a huge difference to his comfort he was head tilting and generally fussy 80% of this has gone with the micklem.
It's a bit of kit that I would not want to be without now.

millitiger

Visit site
Love mine.

Vinnie can be difficult in the contact (draws his tongue back) and the Micklem has made him much steadier and more confident in my hand- he actually takes the contact now, rather than sitting behind it.

3bh

Visit site
Has anyone got one?

If so why did you buy it in the first place? And views on whether its made any difference or not?

I really want to try one, but they are a lot of money (for me anyway) and I dont want to buy one and then it makes no difference at all. I did see there was a place I could hire one from which is one option.

Read a lot of posts on here about it, was having some issues progressing schooling with an ex racehorse who was very fussy about his head, was wearing big gel pads on poll etc.
I thought I'd pick one up 2nd hand off eBay, having looked at the prices I figured they hold 2nd hand value well and are popular, so if it wasn't for me, I'd not lose my money. Paid around £75 for a brown competition bridle (had to be BD legal)

Absoutlely LOVE it and am now using it on every horse! This horse is certainly much happier in the micklem, happier to take the contact forward rather than dropping it and ducking behind, or leaning which he alternated between.
I love the fact that the bridle is so lightweight, when you hold it in your hand compare it with a "normal" bridle in the other hand and you can instantly feel that it is sitting very well balanced and not heavy on the poll. I had been a bit sceptical cosmetically as I am very traditional minded in terms of tack, and thought it might "look a bit weird" but it doesn't atall, really suits my boy who has a teeny head lengthwise.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
have heard a few well respected trainers say they wouldnt use it for comp because its pretty much advertising to the judge that you have a contact problem......................

Tempi

Visit site
have heard a few well respected trainers say they wouldnt use it for comp because its pretty much advertising to the judge that you have a contact problem......................

Jups has diastemas which for a horse so young is apparently rare (according to my vet) he head tilts and generally doesnt like the cavesson being done up and isnt keen on wearing a flash. The diastemas do get pockets in them and can be uncomfortable for him so was wondering if this bridle would help him to be more comfortable.

Unfortunately the vet doesnt think they will get any better, and if anything he might have to have an operation on them, he has his teeth done every 2-3 months because of this as they need to be flushed and cleaned reguarly. He also has them between his front teeth but I clean and flush them myself, its his back teeth that I cant reach.

Its a shame trainers/judges think that as if its something that makes the horse more comfortable (which it would be in my case) then it really shouldnt be frowned upon.

Goldenstar

Visit site

So it would be better to ride my horse who has no contact problems but a bone problem in his jaw with a noseband that puts pressure on the issue rather than use a bridle that relieves 100 per cent of the pressure .
It's never been an issue when I have taken mine out I do think the judges are better than that if you have a contact issue however they will notice micklem or not.

Tempi

Visit site
I have had one for several years it is used every single day originally I bought it with lunging in mind so I could lunge a young one them quickly get on with minimum time spent adjusting tack its great for lunging, we always use it on the non ridden horse when riding and leading.
I also have a horse with a problem with his jaw and has issues with diastemas in his mouth it has make a huge difference to his comfort he was head tilting and generally fussy 80% of this has gone with the micklem.
It's a bit of kit that I would not want to be without now.

Thank you for this, my 4yr old has diastemas and was wondering if this bridle would make him more comfortable.

Tempi

Visit site
So it would be better to ride my horse who has no contact problems but a bone problem in his jaw with a noseband that puts pressure on the issue rather than use a bridle that relieves 100 per cent of the pressure .
It's never been an issue when I have taken mine out I do think the judges are better than that if you have a contact issue however they will notice micklem or not.

I agree with this, surely if you have a contact issue no bridle in the world is going to stop it!! If your horse shoves it head in the air and goes around like a camel then a bridle isnt going to fix this!! It will however make the horse more comfortable......

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
GS- just repeating what ive said, and of course if a *normal* bridle puts your horse in pain its a no brainer but please dont bite my head off for repeating a tidbit, that as ive said, was only what ive heard (3 biggish name) trainers say, independantly of one another, and 2 are also judges.

take it or leave it.

tempi-poor Jup :(

Tempi

Visit site
I think its a shame though that something that could help make a horse more comfortable has been frowned upon by some judges etc.

Yes poor Jups, hes always had ''special'' teeth since he was a foal. Vet hopes once all his adult teeth erupt (he still hasnt got them all yet!!!!) then they might push his teeth together. Poor boy!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Thank you for this, my 4yr old has diastemas and was wondering if this bridle would make him more comfortable.

Well mines definatly happier in it however J's issues have become more complex than just the Diastemas he how has thickening to the jaw bone four lots of x rays two ct scans and diagnostic ultrasound still has two experts in the field perplexed they are unhappy to remove his angled tooth as he is only six when two ct scans show it looking healthly I was not happy working him and turned him away but he was not happy and so I have started light work in the micklem he's brighter when he's busy .
It so sad I just want to fix it for him but don't know what to sort.
Back to the bridle definatly try it on yours it definatly helps J

Goldenstar

Visit site
GS- just repeating what ive said, and of course if a *normal* bridle puts your horse in pain its a no brainer but please dont bite my head off for repeating a tidbit, that as ive said, was only what ive heard (3 biggish name) trainers say, independantly of one another, and 2 are also judges.

take it or leave it.

tempi-poor Jup :(

Sorry I was sharp I apologise .

Tempi

Visit site
Well mines definatly happier in it however J's issues have become more complex than just the Diastemas he how has thickening to the jaw bone four lots of x rays two ct scans and diagnostic ultrasound still has two experts in the field perplexed they are unhappy to remove his angled tooth as he is only six when two ct scans show it looking healthly I was not happy working him and turned him away but he was not happy and so I have started light work in the micklem he's brighter when he's busy .
It so sad I just want to fix it for him but don't know what to sort.
Back to the bridle definatly try it on yours it definatly helps J

I hope J gets better and you manage to keep on top of his issues. Thats good he is better in the Micklem, at least it will give him something to do if he doesnt mind being ridden in that.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I hope J gets better and you manage to keep on top of his issues. Thats good he is better in the Micklem, at least it will give him something to do if he doesnt mind being ridden in that.

Thank you I worked him yesterday from the ground in the micklem with two lines though the turrets in the driving saddle, he did lovely work fab submissive collected canter trot transitions with the head lovely and staight really into the work I don't think it unfair to work him and he does enjoy it but it's a huge worry and difficult to commit to the project because I know it's soft but I think I going to get my heart broken again.

Britestar

Visit site
I recently bought one, mostly because i had read good things about them on here. Horse doesn't particularly have a problem but did have two teeth removed as a 4 year old and has sensitivity issues with his nose as a result - nerve damage.

I usually ride in a drop anyway so thought it may not make much difference. He is much nicer in it, and his slight left hang has gone.

The biggest difference is in his jumping. He has always been inclined to snatch and grab between fences making for not very pretty sights as i get carted towards the next fence trying to regain control. Last weekend i jumped what was probably technically the best round ever. Lovely and smooth, no snatching or grabbing, a super rhythm and smooth and really nice. Even those watching commented how good he looked compared to normal.

Monday i put him back in old bridle - his mate was having a shot of the micklem - and the left hang was back.

Im a convert :)

Scarlett

Visit site
I recently bought one, mostly because i had read good things about them on here. Horse doesn't particularly have a problem but did have two teeth removed as a 4 year old and has sensitivity issues with his nose as a result - nerve damage.

I usually ride in a drop anyway so thought it may not make much difference. He is much nicer in it, and his slight left hang has gone.

The biggest difference is in his jumping. He has always been inclined to snatch and grab between fences making for not very pretty sights as i get carted towards the next fence trying to regain control. Last weekend i jumped what was probably technically the best round ever. Lovely and smooth, no snatching or grabbing, a super rhythm and smooth and really nice. Even those watching commented how good he looked compared to normal.

Monday i put him back in old bridle - his mate was having a shot of the micklem - and the left hang was back.

Thats very interesting, and makes me really want to try one even more. My lad is getting much better about accepting a contact but he can be funny with nosebands - schooled at home without one - and I've been told he had an op when younger on his sinuses (iirc) and had some teeth trouble too. He also had issues with the contact when still in racing and I do wonder if this might help him even further.

oldvic

Visit site

It is wrong for anyone to assume that there is a contact issue if a micklem bridle is being used just as it would be wrong to think a horse must open it's mouth if a flash or a crank noseband is used or a horse won't take the contact if a rubber bit is used, etc. The judge should assess and judge what they see infront of them, not make assumptions. These bridles are being used more and more frequently in eventing and I have seen no evidence that they are adversely effecting the marks.

Tempi

Visit site

Thank you for your reply - I am about to tootle off and hire one - will report back on how we get on :)

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Sounds like an interesting bit of kit - be good to hear how you get on.

Re. advertising contact issues - as a judge, if horse goes better in it and doesnt have contact issues in test then is no way to affect marks. :)

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
i *think* they more meant, it will draw the judges eye to that area and they will be watching the mouth/contact/submission VERY closely......so you might get docked the odd mark for somehting they may otherwise have missed, or "let go".

Tempi

Visit site
Sounds like an interesting bit of kit - be good to hear how you get on.

Re. advertising contact issues - as a judge, if horse goes better in it and doesnt have contact issues in test then is no way to affect marks. :)

I will report back (just trying to scrape together some funds, lol!) :D

Tempi

Visit site
i *think* they more meant, it will draw the judges eye to that area and they will be watching the mouth/contact/submission VERY closely......so you might get docked the odd mark for somehting they may otherwise have missed, or "let go".

I see what you mean, so the different bridle will almost draw more attention to the horses mouth/contact etc.

I have a friend who competes PSG in one and dont think shes ever had any comments but then her horse is really nicely into the contact (obviously has to be at that level).