Micklem Bridle

sunleychops

Visit site
Right I know this will have been covered a million and one times but I'm asking if people think this would suit my horse, Not someone else's horse so please don't tell me to use the search function.

He is a fussy mouthed Tb who is very inconsistent in the contact and spends alot of time mouthing at the bit and generally being a pain. (Teeth regularly checked) Is it worth investing in one of these? I know if I buy one I'll be able to sell it on without losing much and I really don't want to use the hire site as it would probably work out more expensive than buying one and re selling it!

I'll probably be looking to purchase it at Your Horse Live see if I can grab a bargain.

Thanks in advance :)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
It's hard to answer your question because you will only truly know once you try one. The thing is that the Micklem is likely the most comfortable bridle you could buy given it has a padded contoured headpiece and the bespoke noseband avoiding the facial nerves. If you buy the versatile multi bridle you have the advantage of 2 types of bitless bridle arrangements with that which may help you further eliminate if it is the bit that your horse is sensitive to.
I use Micklem bridles on all my horses, I am really pleased with them.

stormclouds

Visit site
My friend's horse sounds similar - really inconsistent and fussy, would cross his jaw a lot and also hated any poll pressure. The micklem has been great so far, he's a lot happier and softer, and is working more consistently. She was going to hire as well but decided to buy, then sell if it was an issue.

sunleychops

Visit site
He's a really funny one, Flashes dont work on him as his mouth just comes open, He hates poll pressure too much so despised a gag, We have used a loop ring on him for jumping and hacking and that is ok for him, Would like to try him bitless as it might be good for him. Think I'll give it a go as like I said I won't lose much money if I need to sell it again.

Cheers

Abacus

Visit site
I bought one second hand on Ebay for a reasonable price (competition bridle for about £90) and later sold it for slightly more.

It didn't really make a difference for my horse hence selling it on, I don't know enough to say whether it might help yours. But all you would lose is the postage cost if you do it this way.

Kallibear

Visit site
They can make a difference but if your horse is mouthy rather than head shaking and itchy then it's more likely to be his bit.

I've got one for my 4yr old headshaker and it stopped his itching and tossing a little but the mouthing a gapping etc was only improved by finding a bit he liked ( a myler comfort snaffle)

Renvers

Visit site
They can make a difference but if your horse is mouthy rather than head shaking and itchy then it's more likely to be his bit.

I've got one for my 4yr old headshaker and it stopped his itching and tossing a little but the mouthing a gapping etc was only improved by finding a bit he liked ( a myler comfort snaffle)

I agree with Kallibear, I have used micklem's for several years and on a horse whose discomfort is in the mouth I have not found them terribly effective. They do much better for horses where the discomfort is in the nerves, head shaking and such. They do retain their value so you should be able to sell on ok

What bits have you tried?

cavalo branco

Visit site
I've just got one on the internet ( worked out that the cost price plus charges from the hire place would be more expensive than just buying one) So far I've been very pleased with it. My boy constantly chomps the bit and I always get the "inconsistent contact" comment in dressage. I thought it would be good for him because he prefers a grackle to a flash nose and. I just use his loose ring snaffle and he is quieter in the mouth and head carriage using the Micklem.
I would just be careful on sizing but you should be ok with a TB. The top back strap is only just long enough on my Irish Draft, he is 16.0hh but quite a chunky head and I have the x full!!

sunleychops

Visit site
I agree with Kallibear, I have used micklem's for several years and on a horse whose discomfort is in the mouth I have not found them terribly effective. They do much better for horses where the discomfort is in the nerves, head shaking and such. They do retain their value so you should be able to sell on ok

What bits have you tried?

Loads! Used all sorts of snaffles etc, he just seems to bounce his head around and is very inconsistent, He had a NS Verbidend but he hated it!

be positive

Visit site
I bought one recently for my very sensitive horse, he has always been inconsistent in the contact and now has a damaged jaw to make matters worse, he would not be a safe candidate for bitless so I bought a Micklem, he is definitely more settled, he takes a more even consistent contact and has in the main stopped chucking his head up for no obvious reason and running through the bridle. I think he likes the fact it is very still which seems to stop him fiddling so much, the noseband suits him although he was previously just in a cavesson as well as the comfort headpiece reducing poll pressure.