Microchipping

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Im sure its been discussed before so apologies. Is this a fait accompli now. Vet due this week for booster and dentals and not sure whether I absolutely need to chip them? I know its "the law now" but I also strongly suspect there will be an awful lot of horses who wont ever see a chip or a scanner. Does anyone know what the absolute bottom line is with this please. Ponies in question are all kept purely for private use, hacking only and have never been to a show in their lives

cindars

Visit site
Have been wondering about this too. We have three beasties at our yard two never leave the yard as retired and mine who is on permanent loan and goes out once in a blue moon at present.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I can't see how it will be enforced so if you've got old horses that will never leave you i probably wouldn't bother.

Selling them on without a chip may be more difficult in the future though.

honetpot

Visit site
The only time I have seen a horse being scanned for a chip, was entry to a race course prior to a race, and when my mare was graded, when they couldn't find it. Who is going to read the chip and why?

Shay

Visit site
There are no exceptions - but like passports there are also little or no enforcement. Our youngsters are chipped (mind you they had to be as all are young enough to be chipped as foals.) But my old retired lad is not and he will not be. Nor is his passport compliant with the new rules as his vaccination record is not secured inside it. But he will never leave the property, does not compete, will not be sold or otherwise enter the food chain. He'll end his life here. I very much doubt a 13.2 29 year old cob is going to be a target for theft in a yard full of hunters and eventers - but he is freezemarked.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I hope everyone knows that once the animal is newly microchipped, you are supposed to send the passport to the relevant agency (that it was issued by) so they can update their record and then this then goes onto the new database.
I cannot see anywhere apart from on native breed society regs that this has been mentioned anywhere!

zandp

Visit site
Vet asked me about microchipping the other day, as one is 26 and the other is unloadable currently I'm in no rush. I told her that I wasn't going to get my needle phobic 26 year old chipped and she said she'd just pretend she hadn't heard me.

meleeka

Visit site
Dog microchips have been law for sometime but not enforced. It really annoys me that they keep making these new laws, presumably at great expense, but then don’t fund any department to enforce them. If the passport law was enforced when it was made, we wouldn’t have a horse crisis in this country.

Two of my old girls aren’t chipped, one doesn’t even have a passport, and I’m not intending to get them either. I’d be very happy to when they start prosecuting the local travellers who dump their unwanted colts, in shocking condition every Autumn.

eggs

Visit site
Got my two competing horses chipped this week when they had their six monthly flu jab. My old retired boy who never leaves the yard was accidently left in the field so missed getting chipped.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My sister and I have a 19yr old pony and 19yr old mare neither of which are chipped. They don't leave the property and are with us for life. Unless they need the vet and the vet asks about chipping they will not be done. Different of course if there was a major push to check all horses for chips and enforce compliance.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I hope everyone knows that once the animal is newly microchipped, you are supposed to send the passport to the relevant agency (that it was issued by) so they can update their record and then this then goes onto the new database.
I cannot see anywhere apart from on native breed society regs that this has been mentioned anywhere!
I didn't find out until after (she was done two weeks ago, because she sometimes gets out). I've now downloaded the addition form (Exmoor Pony Society) and it wants the vet to fill in the bottom half of the form complete with official stamp. FFS!! Quite miffed. Vet didn't mention it, either. I didn't even know I had to have the passport with me. All I've ever read is that it had to be done.