Middleham Open Day

Kenzo

Visit site
Just thought I’d share with you our visit to the Middleham Open Day in North Yorkshire last Friday, how I managed to coax the hubby into looking round yard after yard of god knows how many race horses I’ll never know but some how he agreed and can safely say he actually very much enjoyed it!:eek:

The rain held off for most of the day and there appeared to be a good turnout, not that I’ve been before but judging from the amount of folk wandering about, everyone taking advantage of the shuttle coaches that took you the yards further a field and the hustle an bustle in the yards I’d say they day must have been a success for all.

Of course I was in my element, I’ve always wanted to visit the racing yards to learn more about what goes on and see how the horses are kept.

It’s really surprising to learn how many racing yards are tucked away in one of the smallest Market Towns in Yorkshire, it seems every spare nut and cranny hidden up a old cobble street there is a little delightful yard with a handful Thoroughbreds peeping over the stable doors, some of the yards were bigger than others and obvioulsly housed a lot more, like Mike Johnston’s for example, it was was huge, owning a second yard just a across the road…. I mean there’s no need to be greedy is there :D, a really impressive yard, think all in all there was around 9 in the town, one being right next to the Castle (what a place to work...:rolleyes: alright for some) and another 5 on the outskirts.

Who would I have taken home, well I found a little chestnut filly called Red Koko at Warwick Lodge Stables/George Moore, the star on her head was like a little love heart, she was so cheeky, a total fuss pot, in fact the little madam nearly ate my ticket!

Silver Tigress was also very stunning, I soon homed in on the greys!

Some of the horses were not quite as sociable as others, I can imagine many may of have got a little fed up of all the 100’s of faces glaring at them over the stable doors and little hands patting there noses but I think it was really nice of owners to invite the public to wander round and see their lovely horses, some of the stables had little signs out warning people that ‘this horse may bite’ but to be fair it was very pleasing to see that most of the horses (that I saw anyway) seemed very friendly and content characters and hopefully enjoyed the atmosphere and all the attention.

I met the lovely coloured Angrove Rumbaba, who was very handsom, just manged to catch him before the yards shut, didn’t have chance to look round every single one unforutnately, most of the yards shut around 1pm, so they could carry on with their day to day duties, it was also nice to see one of the yards display their staff with their favourite rides and a bit of info on them.

Later on in the it was the Pony Club & Jockeys Relay jumping, jockeys including Keiren Fallon, Joe Fanning, it great fun to watch I think I was in tears of laughter at times…..mostly due to the commentator.

I’ll bob some photos on when Photobucket decides to play ball, it’s not loading them all up at the moment, probably stick them in the picture section.

So a great day out, certainly recommend it to those who have not been before, get yourselves there next year! :)

angrovestud

Visit site
Kenzo It was delightful to meet you and other's who came from the HHO forum it made our day extra special! it was our first time at the Middleham Open day to, I was warned by Alan, Micky Hammonds Head lad that we wouldt be able to move and he was proved right! sadly we did not get the chance to leave Rummy we were so very busy with people wanting to know about his breeding and lots of questions which was so nice.
your account of the day was fantastic I watched the show jumping and Niall Hannity's commentry was so funny even got the chance to ask Mark Johnson how he felt about coloured racehorses seeing as how he was up against one at Kempton ! he had the winner he thought it very funny when a coloured was doing the show jumping to say had Micky brought rummy up for the jumping that got a good laugh that was funny I liked his quick wit
so Thank you for helping to make our day ! XXX see you next year I hope

Last edited: