might help others with Laminitis

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My gelding has had on and off warm fee/pulses for a while now. Been on restricted field for a few hours, then I started him on the field with the others for 1 hour and pre grazed the rest of the time, I could not go more than 1 hr with others as pulse would raise.

Well livery had gone through this with her ems pony, and was recommend this product by her vet and simple systems and D&H, and it greatly reduces the heat/flare ups. SO I took the plunge and got some and on yesterday just over a week on Turmeric he went out the whole day with others and had cool feet.

Today they a stone cold, so just sharing update really in case anyone else wants to try, and ready to give. I wont take my boy off it now (summer will be the time to test)https://www.supplementsolutions.co....s-a-z/equine-america-turmeric-3kg-equine.html

Equi

Visit site
Turmeric is a natural inflammatory, true, but i doubt it will stop lamminitis. It won't hurt it, but it won't be a case of "give this and the horse won't get it" type thing.

Twohorses

Visit site
M

Today they a stone cold, so just sharing update really in case anyone else wants to try, and ready to give. I wont take my boy off it now (summer will be the time to test)https://www.supplementsolutions.co....s-a-z/equine-america-turmeric-3kg-equine.html

"Off/on" laminitis is generally indicative of metabolic issues. "Stone cold" hooves that go on for more than a few days can be indicative of poor circulation that is also attached to metabolic issues.

I have an IR horse. My lameness vet told me if the "stone cold" went on more than three consecutive days to call him. In the interim, I was to quilt and wrap the legs to help increase circulation, hopefully "warming" up the hooves to a natural warmth:)

It's a fine line between right and wrong where metabolic issues are concerned:)

Turmeric -- I have read of a few people feeding turmeric to their metabolic horses with success. I'm not one of them -- my horse's insulin levels were more than three time the high-normal. Cornell Univ. even asked the vet for a second vile of blood as they thought they had mis-read. When they hadn't mis-read, they marveled the horse was still alive.

That was in 2012, my avatar is this horse on his 23rd B-day in 2018 -- at great expense -- I did not make a supplemental move with this horse without talking to the vet first, and turmeric was not part of his life-saving regimen:)

I hope the turmeric works for your horse, just please be advised on-going stone-cold hooves can often not be any healthier than excessively warm hooves:)

windand rain

Visit site
Turmeric is a great anti inflamatory but I too would doubt it can prevent laminitis. I use it daily to help the old girl with post surgery arthritis it works extremely well and she has been sound on it for about 10 years off it she goes lame so I know it it the turmeric that prevents her lameness. Have recently changed from using the powder to using Turmeraid as it is more readily available round here

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Well he has been on it 2 weeks now, he has been tested for metabolic and it is negative.

A definite improvement in his feet less warm when he comes in and he is now out full days instead of being on starvation paddock most of the day. If there is any warmth when he comes in, it has gone by the morning, and pulses are normal when I check them am and pm. So I take that as it is working for him as before it was touch and go how long he went out with the others, normally only 1 hr.

He is checked twice a day and when spring comes I will be even more vigilant seeing I lost his mum to laminitis. For the moment he is enjoying being with the others.