Mighty midget update-show report and new vids for CC

Hallo2012

Visit site
So the midget and I went off to do 2 x novice last week in the hope of securing our native champs sheets and then being able to concentrate on training until 1st Oct(when I can start chasing AF sheets)...........pleased to report we managed it and although we didn't get the sort of scores I would like, I learnt a lot from it (ie don't ride like a muppet!)

N27 was first and we wobbled and wiggled round somewhat and actually did a couple of flying changes and left the arena during the first GNR (totally due to loss of balance, nothing more)and only really showed a couple of steps of proper medium for a fair 61.25%

N39 is a big ask for a 4yo but I had already decided not to try for the walk to canter and give him an easy ride round.........he did absolutely every thing I asked in his normal cheerful manner but i didn't really RIDE any of it and just went in to dolly daydream mode (you know when you're driving and suddenly clock you've gone 15 junctions with no recollection? yeah thats how my tests go currently!!!!)
no mega mistakes bar a lack of walk to canter and a slightly piaffey/joggy walk for 61.35% which i thought was possibly a little mean but as i got my 2 x native sheets....no great shakes and watching the videos back I can see that all the comments are spot on :)

so how do you get your fire in the belly feeling back?! i think I'm just so chuffed to not be evading death by the skin of my teeth (Star) or trying to hold together 600kg of feisty warmblood (Goof) I just sit like a lemon and let him cruise round!!!!

We've got the young pony champs in 2 weeks and i need to be ON.IT in order to help him show off as best he can.

couple of shows pics just because hes so cute i could eat him!

raf3.jpgraf1.jpg

With this in mind i've been trying to ride the trot and the canter more actively forward out of every corner and managed to get the OH to catch these short videos on Saturday.....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

bit of trot-some shallow LY to the track and then making sure he motors forward. He's a little wobbly in the contact to start but then improves :)

canter-SI on one side and then pushing forward on the next

i've actually changes his bit from the last video to these too, only from a Trust medium port eggbutt to a Bombers happy tongue loose ring as the former was quite a heavy bit and had just started to rub the pink side of his lips but actually i think hes a bit more uphill and longer in the neck in the bombers too :)

so all CC welcome.

He's also been doing a lot of racing the OH on the bike and bombing round the countryside and being a general hooligan!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
everyone is going to moan about your bandages again ;)

Clear to see he's getting stronger and more forward to the contact.

Re getting the fire back in your belly, are there any test riding clinics round you? I find if you get a good judge running them, they really make me want to ride every step and be much more switched on. Now you're up to tests like N39 there should be enough to keep you both thinking? totally understand daydreaming round a prelim though, I'm not looking forward to starting again :p

Hallo2012

Visit site
everyone is going to moan about your bandages again ;)

Clear to see he's getting stronger and more forward to the contact.

Re getting the fire back in your belly, are there any test riding clinics round you? I find if you get a good judge running them, they really make me want to ride every step and be much more switched on. Now you're up to tests like N39 there should be enough to keep you both thinking? totally understand daydreaming round a prelim though, I'm not looking forward to starting again :p

i know lol! i meant to put tendon boots on then forgot!

good idea i will go and search for some in my area :)

McFluff

Visit site
I have nothing constructive to say, just wanted to say that he’s such a cutie, and it’s lovely seeing you enjoy him so much.

TPO

Visit site
Absolutely no criticism, constructive or otherwise, he's looking great and seems to be amassing lots of positive outings.

Having been dealt some very rough blows with Star and Goofy it's really nice to see how much fun and enjoyment an orange pony can bring :D

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Can't help with the fire, I never had it for anything but cross country. He is a cracking little fellow though 🌞

Fiona

Visit site
What do you mean moaning about bandages MP??

I love Raf, he's such a dude... and love seeing pics and vids on my fb of him.

I wonder should I ride my son's 12hh Sec A more often?? :)

Fiona

Hallo2012

Visit site
What do you mean moaning about bandages MP??

I love Raf, he's such a dude... and love seeing pics and vids on my fb of him.

I wonder should I ride my son's 12hh Sec A more often?? :)

Fiona

deffo! cant beat a clever little pony :)

re bandages-in my last thread people didnt like the big bandage liners as said it made it difficult to see his movement properly and also from the over heating POV.....personally i find them no hotter than boots as they are a waffle sort of liner, and don't struggle to see him move but i'm used to huge flappy liners in all dressage videos!

Wheels

Visit site
He's so super cute!

He certainly looks a little less on the forehand although I personally would like to see his poll angle more open still. He's got good natural rhythm which is not being hampered by the rider which is nice to see

Dynamo

Visit site
Gorgeous pony. If you don't mind me asking, what height is he and what height are you? Only asking because I am tiny and current looking at 13h ponies for dressage, but raising quite a few eyebrows when I call people and they realise the pony is for me and not the daughter they assume I have. I don't want a big horse that I can't manoeuvre. You look lovely with your light, centred seat.

Hallo2012

Visit site
Gorgeous pony. If you don't mind me asking, what height is he and what height are you? Only asking because I am tiny and current looking at 13h ponies for dressage, but raising quite a few eyebrows when I call people and they realise the pony is for me and not the daughter they assume I have. I don't want a big horse that I can't manoeuvre. You look lovely with your light, centred seat.

thanks :) he is 133cm which is a smidge over 13hh and I am 5'7.....he's very square and broad,he really takes my leg out rather than it hanging down.
I raised a few eyebrows too but have learnt to ignore it, i wouldn't swap Raf for the world he really makes me laugh every day :)

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Nout constructive to say as I am a rank amateur in comparison - I just love how you can get 9/10 strides of canter on your short side where I'd struggle to get 3 or 4!

Wish I was small enough to have a midget pone.

JustMe22

Visit site
I am no expert but from a short watch of the videos (sneaking in peeks at work!) I'd say he needs to be hotter and more active behind, but not necessarily more forward. In a few spots it looks like he's running out of the rhythm a bit, especially in the trot. My very oversized and gangly warmblood can be a bit too laidback and does similar. Initially I focused on just getting him off the leg but he then wanted to go earthbound instead of dropping the croup and being more active and engaged. We've been doing lots of work on really getting him to sit and raise the withers, bend the hocks and step under himself. It's been boring but has made the world of difference to his work.

However, you're far more experienced than me so feel free to ignore! Also haven't seen any previous videos so have nothing to compare it to. He is looovely though and adore the colouring!

Fire in the belly will come I think, so no advice there.

Hallo2012

Visit site
I am no expert but from a short watch of the videos (sneaking in peeks at work!) I'd say he needs to be hotter and more active behind, but not necessarily more forward. In a few spots it looks like he's running out of the rhythm a bit, especially in the trot. My very oversized and gangly warmblood can be a bit too laidback and does similar. Initially I focused on just getting him off the leg but he then wanted to go earthbound instead of dropping the croup and being more active and engaged. We've been doing lots of work on really getting him to sit and raise the withers, bend the hocks and step under himself. It's been boring but has made the world of difference to his work.

However, you're far more experienced than me so feel free to ignore! Also haven't seen any previous videos so have nothing to compare it to. He is looovely though and adore the colouring!

Fire in the belly will come I think, so no advice there.

he's actually an very hot pony, deffo never behind me and its easy to get him to the point his legs and power over take his brain a bit and you cant get your leg on at all esp in walk and canter but maybe ive eased off the accelerator too much!

if you push too much you end up with the demented welsh way of going ie loads of flicking toes and running on his shoulders croup high because he doesnt know where else to put himself yet so 100% agree he needs to learn to bring his withers up and lighten the shoulder :) its a real balancing act of getting him to push.....but not push on to his head!!!

Dynamo

Visit site
Hey OP, just thought I would let you know that I've acquired a 13h Section B too. Really looking forward to getting him out when I've smartened him up and got him fit. Not completely copying you... same colour but only two white socks!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
he's actually an very hot pony, deffo never behind me and its easy to get him to the point his legs and power over take his brain a bit and you cant get your leg on at all esp in walk and canter but maybe ive eased off the accelerator too much!

if you push too much you end up with the demented welsh way of going ie loads of flicking toes and running on his shoulders croup high because he doesnt know where else to put himself yet so 100% agree he needs to learn to bring his withers up and lighten the shoulder :) its a real balancing act of getting him to push.....but not push on to his head!!!

I think it's also easy to forget, if people even knew, that he's only four. My four year old is a long way behind what he's doing. We aren't even ready for an Intro 😅

Hallo2012

Visit site
Hey OP, just thought I would let you know that I've acquired a 13h Section B too. Really looking forward to getting him out when I've smartened him up and got him fit. Not completely copying you... same colour but only two white socks!

You can’t say that not provide pics!!! :)

Hallo2012

Visit site
I think it's also easy to forget, if people even knew, that he's only four. My four year old is a long way behind what he's doing. We aren't even ready for an Intro 😅

Too true. It’s easy to forget because he’s so good bless him,he’s been forest hacking today with a mare and been over tree stumps,under branches,through the undergrowth,over a bridge,up stone steps and down a bank.... old head on young shoulders! Nothing phases him in or out the arena :)