Mill Law/Primative Proposal

Topaz Tiger

Visit site
Hi everyone,
I am looking to breed from my retired mare next year, she is a classical m/w ID/TB which retired from eventing thru injury.
I am looking to lighten her and produce something to event, so am looking at a performance 7/8 or full TB, dont want to introduce any warmblood, just personal preference, so wondered if anyone had any suggestions on who to use.
My shortlist so far consists of
Mill Law
Primative Proposal
Any thoughts on these? or suggestions of others to look at? good temperment is an important consideration for me.
Many Thanks Guys.
(also posted in Competition Riders)

Sarah1

Visit site
I'm by no means an expert but Mill Law is quite local to me and he has such a fantastic reputation. Everyone raves about his temperament and his jumping ability - I don't think you'd go far wrong if you chose him.

emlybob

Visit site
Mill Law's progeny speak for themselves. His youngstock do extremley well in the show ring and his older kids are definately holding their own i the eventing world. He has also a top class competitio record in his own right, i am not convinced u can go wrong using him if you want to go down the eventing line

ss1

Visit site
I have used One More Tiger on my mare this year. She is 3/4 TB 1/4 Cleveland. Looked at Primitive Proposal who is nice but it was Tiger's temperament that won me over. You couldn't ask for a better temperament and he is stunning.

I saw some young foals by him when I went to see him and they were looking good even at a week old. The one I'm thinking of went on to do very well at the BEF this summer in the eventing section.

I think he is definitely worth ooking at if you want a TB and Louisa at the stud is really helpful.

Topaz Tiger

Visit site
Hi guys, I was thinking about One More Tiger at one point, but then he kinda got lost in the mix when I started looking at the 2 in my title.
However, a couple of people have said mill laws offspring, can be sharp and quirky, which is absolutely not what I want.... I know any horse can be like that and it is obviously influenced by the dam, but all the same, it is a little concerning..... So will look at One More Tiger again.... Thank you.

eventrider23

Visit site
I like the suggestion of Power Blade - lovely event sire and full TB. There is also Stormhill Miller who has just been relocated back to the UK.....also TB and is in the top 50 WBFSH sires!

seabsicuit2

Visit site
If you want to be totally gauranteed a excellent temperment and a quality, good looking horse with strong limbs then do have a look at Groomsbridge May. A full TB and oldest stock are 5 & are all so easy& athletic.
Only thing is he stands at 15.2...

Mill Law- has produced the goods undoubtedly but his pasterns are long, and cannons are long and slightly light- so would only use on a mare with very strong limbs and plenty of substance.

Primative Prosposal- might have some of the all-too famous primative rising's quirkiness/sharpness? I dont know enough about his actual stock tho.

Other TB's to look at would be Mighty Magic and Ekstein - which would be on the stallion companys website..

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Power Blade would have examples of how he improves on the IDxTB having been used on this type of mare. He looked to have a good temperment from what I saw of him at Addington, so would be worth a consideration.

Optimist

Visit site
Have you considered Primitive Faerie Tale? He is 15/16th Tb, by Primitive Rising out of a Ben Faerie mare. His competition record is excellent, his temperement is second to none and his offspring are starting to do really well - one was on the Junior Eventing team this year. I have a 3 month old foal by him and, whilst obviously having no idea what he will be like eventually, am absolutely thrilled with him.

Topaz Tiger

Visit site
Wow thanks guys, got plenty to be going on with....!
Ok well my new revised shortlist is......
Weston justice
One more tiger
Primo pageant
Have realised in doing this, I don't need a world beater, just a nice quality amateurs horses and that temperament is really important, as will not be a spring chicken by the time it is a young horse.
In fact it has made me wonder if I would not be better keeping the Irish blood level up a bit, as will be in my early 50s by the time it is a young horse and therefore may be better with a jumbo off spring or Glenhill gold....
Many thanks everyone, will let you know which way I go.

sw123

Visit site
We have 2 mill law's out of a 3/4 ID mare and one on the way! The eldest is off to Le Lion D'Angers World Young Horse Champs next month!! They both have fabulous temperaments and are easy to do. I havent had a Primitive Proposal baby but knew and rode the stallion and had a lovely temperament too. I think Mill Law has shown he can produce the goods top class competition horse wise, Primitive Proposal has some lovely young horses coming up and whilst I dont think they will be as top class as the Mill Law ones they'll make classy competition horses.

We're biased but then our eldest Mill Law has seriously produced the goods for us - First Premiums in the BEF futurity each year, Best British Bred 4yo at the BE Young Horse champs, 5yo champion at the BE young horse champs, 6 year old won 28 points, this season as a 7 year old got another 40 points and won his first intermediate!! He absolutely loves his job and puts his all into it but is a complete softy too. We hope his little sister and next years foal are just as good!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4Ex-JvR20 thats him doing his first novice (and winning) at Belton as a nearly 6yo last year.

Last edited:

Topaz Tiger

Visit site
We have 2 mill law's out of a 3/4 ID mare and one on the way! The eldest is off to Le Lion D'Angers World Young Horse Champs next month!! They both have fabulous temperaments and are easy to do. I havent had a Primitive Proposal baby but knew and rode the stallion and had a lovely temperament too. I think Mill Law has shown he can produce the goods top class competition horse wise, Primitive Proposal has some lovely young horses coming up and whilst I dont think they will be as top class as the Mill Law ones they'll make classy competition horses.

We're biased but then our eldest Mill Law has seriously produced the goods for us - First Premiums in the BEF futurity each year, Best British Bred 4yo at the BE Young Horse champs, 5yo champion at the BE young horse champs, 6 year old won 28 points, this season as a 7 year old got another 40 points and won his first intermediate!! He absolutely loves his job and puts his all into it but is a complete softy too. We hope his little sister and next years foal are just as good!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4Ex-JvR20 thats him doing his first novice (and winning) at Belton as a nearly 6yo last year.

Wow he looks seriously impressive, I can see why you are so pleased with him.
Interesting to hear you say they are easy, as there have been a few comments saying they can be hot/quirky, which as an amateur, keeping them at home, that would be a concern for me. So its all good to hear. :)

elizabeth1

Visit site
I have a Mill Law 3 year old filly who is currently away being broken in and her temperament and attitude have been fantastic from day one.She is my first homebred and I have had absolutely no problem with handling her at all! So maybe the dams of the quirky Mill Law ones you have heard about are responsible for their temperaments-I certainly could not have asked for a kinder temperament from my Mill Law filly.

catts

Visit site
I like the suggestion of Power Blade - lovely event sire and full TB. There is also Stormhill Miller who has just been relocated back to the UK.....also TB and is in the top 50 WBFSH sires!

Stormhill Miller gets my vote - he's cracking. Where's he standing in the UK now then?

Also have a think about Primitive Academy. He's a super put together horse.

On the keeping a bit of Irish bit in, I've got a 3 year old who's by Jigilo (son of Jumbo). She's very nice and out of an Irish/Master Spiritus mare. She's my future eventer - hopefully we'll go Intermediate, same as I did with her aunt.

Last edited:

eventrider23

Visit site
Stormhill Miller gets my vote - he's cracking. Where's he standing in the UK now then?

Also have a think about Primitive Academy. He's a super put together horse.

On the keeping a bit of Irish bit in, I've got a 3 year old who's by Jigilo (son of Jumbo). She's very nice and out of an Irish/Master Spiritus mare. She's my future eventer - hopefully we'll go Intermediate, same as I did with her aunt.

Oli Townend and Nina Barbour have bought him to stand alongside Power Blade and others at Harthill Stud and so I imagine he will be based at Twemlows with PB next season. He is already in UK and covered some of their own mares at end of season.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Wow thanks guys, got plenty to be going on with....!
Ok well my new revised shortlist is......
Weston justice
One more tiger
Primo pageant
Have realised in doing this, I don't need a world beater, just a nice quality amateurs horses and that temperament is really important, as will not be a spring chicken by the time it is a young horse.
In fact it has made me wonder if I would not be better keeping the Irish blood level up a bit, as will be in my early 50s by the time it is a young horse and therefore may be better with a jumbo off spring or Glenhill gold....
Many thanks everyone, will let you know which way I go.

In that case, if you're looking at Irish blood, take a look at MJ Fine Art, stands virtually next door to the Harthill stallions and also have a look at Maurice Minor. He's full ID, the only son of Colman RID standing at stud. He has produced some cracking horses including Advanced eventers, dressage horses and Grade A's let alone numerous show horses and hunters. My filly this year by him out of an ISH mare (Loughehoe Guy x Skerry Flight) is exceptional and very athletic - not just me saying that either, lol!

You can't beat a bit of Irish! :)

Simsar

Visit site
In that case, if you're looking at Irish blood, take a look at MJ Fine Art, stands virtually next door to the Harthill stallions and also have a look at Maurice Minor. He's full ID, the only son of Colman RID standing at stud. He has produced some cracking horses including Advanced eventers, dressage horses and Grade A's let alone numerous show horses and hunters. My filly this year by him out of an ISH mare (Loughehoe Guy x Skerry Flight) is exceptional and very athletic - not just me saying that either, lol!

You can't beat a bit of Irish! :)

We can vouch for that as Maesfens filly is in our field, she is an absolute cracker and you wouldn't believe over 1/2 ID, so athletic and a real mover with top conformation!

If however you are a looking for a pure TB, most of those suggested would be suitable, you now just have to decide what suits your mare, personally I would take a trip to meet Primo Pageant as I don't think he will be standing after next year and you couldn't go far wrong with him (you will have to look passed his aged body though, bless him) he is a real gent and is producing the goods eventing and jumping, we have two by him this year(thankfully one is a colt (full TB) to be retained) and will be sending a couple of mares back to him next year.

Hope this helps :)

sw123

Visit site
I think you certainly need to go and meet the stallions to see how good etc their temperament and conformation are and how they compliment your mare. We met Mill Law before using him and we had no big ambitions with what we wanted to breed temperament was number one thing and a nice moving, well put together a horse so that we could do things with it at home were next!

Well 15/15 in 2 BYEH qualifiers for our boy and Mill Law himself also got 15/15 twice shows we got the conformation bit and like I say he's a real softy to do!

I think you need to make your short list and then investigate those rather than making an ever longer long list - then it just gets confusing!!

Topaz Tiger

Visit site
Hi sw123, think you're right, need to go and see some, as the more I look at on paper the more confused I get.
Managed to find a couple of videos of them, which helped. My mares neck is set on a bit high, so looking for something with a better neck, with a compact frame.
So think I need to look at some moving and of course temperament. Trouble is as a first time breeder, it seems for every positive, there is someone with a negative, and after all that it has to suit my mare.... Argh! I thought this would be easy........
Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions...... ;)

Kao

Visit site
I would say Wish Upon a Star. He's an amazing horse, but you don't want WB.
I personally don't know any nice tempered non-WB sporthorse stallions.

Simply because a sporthorse is more or less a WB, sometimes a hotblood, but mostly WB.

Topaz Tiger

Visit site
Hi sportznight, you're right he is a fabulous stamp of a horse, just the type I like. My mare has a fab temp, tough and a real fighter. She just is one of the spookiest horses I have ever ridden, so will hope she doesn't influence her offspring in that regard too much. ;)