Minimum Horse Age for Riding Club Lessons?

jm2k

Visit site
Just wondering if there are any official regulations what the minimum horse age is to attend lessons?
Generally i know its 4 to compete so it is the same just for lessons with an affiliated (not for my horse i may add as i think 3 is too young)

jm2k

Visit site
The local RC club does state 4 but does anyone ever check passports?
Have a feeling they may try to sneak the horse in :(

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It is indeed 4, as most (all) equines change age on 1st Jan in the uk for all disciplines and passport purposes, then all 3yr olds are now 4.
In most cases owners at RC are pretty responsible and would not dream of for example taking a rising 4yr old to a sj training session, one hopes .......

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
No, passports are generally only actually checked for teams. For other activities they usually rely on the sense of the owner to follow rules.. If you know someone is taking a younger horse a quick call to a Committee member would allow them to make an informed decision and discreetly let the rider know they can't use that horse..

WelshD

Visit site
If horse was three surely as of today its classed as a four year old?

Unless you mean its three as of today?

WelshD

Visit site
Ah just seen your post elsewhere. If horse will only be officially three you could complain to the committee but if the owner is well known and liked it may be seen as rocking the boat

LadyRascasse

Visit site
Yes 2011 foals are now 4. Sadly they are rarely check. I know someone who competed there 2011 foal in a dressage comp last year. Find it very sad, mine is back but has only been lightly hacked and very lightly school and now on holiday until Feb.

Goldenstar

Visit site
With our riding club it's 4 (unless it's a lunging course where I seem to remember we allowed 3yos when we held one ) but it's done on birth year so all 2011 foals are now eligible for courses .