Minimum turnout for non ridden horses

poiuytrewq

Visit site
What’s the least you’d be ok with?
I’ve been alternating turnout and stabling with my gang so some are out at night and some by day.
Came home today however in horrific weather to find they had completely trashed the small “trash paddock” I think high spirits due to the wind and a hell of a lot of rain.
One in particular is just miserable outside. He’s currently out of work though, as are some of the others. The others are happy enough out with a big pile of hay but I’m thinking I’m really going to have to limit turnout in order not to really destroy it but also to prevent injury if anything like today was to go by!

flying_high

Visit site
I don’t think there is an absolute and it depends on the horse.

My (sadly now departed) older 17hh didn’t really cope well with more than 16 hours stabled, even in work. I’d ruled out box resting him, and did anything I could to keep him active and moving.

A smaller non arthritic retired horse might be fine.

I’d not want to ideally keep any non-ridden large horse in more than a few days without access to a school / field / pen / yard / barn or hand walking for 10-20 minutes at both ends of the day.

I think horses are meant to be moving about.

Could you put them out for an hour am or pm whilst you muck out and then bring in?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Non ridden horses (assuming not on box rest), ideally 24/7 but bare minimum out in daylight hours through winter.
I’d agree. However I am literally forcing this one to go out. He’s so unhappy. If I left him out the whole daylight time he’d be suicidal 😳

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I don’t think there is an absolute and it depends on the horse.

My (sadly now departed) older 17hh didn’t really cope well with more than 16 hours stabled, even in work. I’d ruled out box resting him, and did anything I could to keep him active and moving.

A smaller non arthritic retired horse might be fine.

I’d not want to ideally keep any non-ridden large horse in more than a few days without access to a school / field / pen / yard / barn or hand walking for 10-20 minutes at both ends of the day.

I think horses are meant to be moving about.

Could you put them out for an hour am or pm whilst you muck out and then bring in?
Yes I could just do an hour either end of the day maybe he’d be happier like that.
He was coping with being out 7-4 ish before all the snow and field turned really bad.

Pc2003

Visit site
Do whatever suits him best. One of mine can be like that. He does have spavins tho so I like to keep him out all day in the winter but if the weather is crap he literally stands by the gate all day. He may have a pick at some hay for the first couple of hours then stands as close to the gate for hours on end. He is ridden lightly. But days like today he will stand in as I actually think he would break thru the fence if I left him out all day today

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Do whatever suits him best. One of mine can be like that. He does have spavins tho so I like to keep him out all day in the winter but if the weather is crap he literally stands by the gate all day. He may have a pick at some hay for the first couple of hours then stands as close to the gate for hours on end. He is ridden lightly. But days like today he will stand in as I actually think he would break thru the fence if I left him out all day today
This is it. We try to get them out as it’s best for them but actually sometimes maybe not kindest

Goldenstar

Visit site
Non ridden horses (assuming not on box rest), ideally 24/7 but bare minimum out in daylight hours through winter.

I don’t think it’s always ideal for non ridden horses to be out 24/7 there so many variables .
Fatty lived out till mid Jan then he had just had enough so now he’s stabled and out all day .
Interestingly he is sounder stabled at night I think he gets better rest .
Sometimes he just gets three hours as he’s been doing box rest companion duties .
It’s ideal to have choice and fields big enough for retired horses to move not horrible muddy tiny spaces
I think three hours is a minimum and I would be seriously considering if a yard where three hours or less was all that’s offered is suitable for non ridden older horses .
It’s certainly not suitable for non ridden young horses ,young horses need space and movement and company .

Pc2003

Visit site
Are they miserable because they do not have any nice long grass to eat?
If that is the case - then you need more grazing.

Yes probably. I’m sure he would love to be knee deep in grass all winter long but that’s not always possible is it? I still have grass but it’s not long and lush therefore not considered good enough. My other horse grazes all day.

oldie48

Visit site
TBH I think it depends on the horse and what it is used to. My new companion mare is an ex polo pony retired because of injury but field sound. We have had horrid weather here today, she went out with Rose from 08.00 until 14.00 when I took Rose off for a lesson. She was much happier in the stable with a nice big haynet than she would have been in the field. If the sun had been shining I'd have left her out and after a bit of running around she would have settled. She's a mare who is used to being stabled, doesn't find it stressy to be in provided she's got something to eat and like so many of the horses we have had over the years, vote with their feet if the weather is vile. I can put hay out in the field but they would rather eat the grass, i'm not short of grazing but the bottom line is some horses would rather be in if the weather is horrible and some are happy to be out regardless.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
He’s used to being out lots.
I’d half imagine he didn’t get anywhere near the turnout I give here previously though, maybe that’s the issue

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Could it be to do with rugging, rather than actually being outside? My Draft mare used to hate going out in the field if it was raining. She was a very hot horse with a thick mane and tail and so I didn't often rug her unless the weather was absolutely awful until I found that if her neck was covered she was quite happy. So she got a full-neck rainsheet for wet days.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If horses don't like being out I don't force them. My old stallion took years to agree to be out for more than 40 minutes, and that was on a sunny day. Eventually he would stay out for about 5 hours, but then would rattle the hell out of the gate to come in. If it was cold, wet or windy he wouldn't go out at all - loved the snow though!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I don’t think so. He’s blanket clipped Tb and in a 200g rug. He’s a warmish horse so I check all the time and keep him on the cooler side.
He has had his lower teeth removed recently and this could have something to do with it. (It’s the reason I can’t ride)

WandaMare

Visit site
I like mine to be out all day but if weather is as bad as today then I usually just put them out for the morning, 4 or 5 hours. After that they start getting cold and miserable and hang round the gate. I then take them for a 10 min graze in hand at tea time so they get another quick leg stretch before staying in overnight.

NinjaPony

Visit site
My pony has been retired nigh on 8 years, and for most of that he has gone out 8-3/4, stabled overnight. Tried the 24/7 option, and he was having none of it. He wants to come in when it's rainy and cold, and loves his stabled routine. The key is making sure he is well rugged, and has enough grass/hay to occupy him, which considering he is a tubby welsh pony, is not normally an issue! It's also important for him to be out in a large field with plenty of room for a leg stretch, and with other companions so he is not by himself.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I don’t think so. He’s blanket clipped Tb and in a 200g rug. He’s a warmish horse so I check all the time and keep him on the cooler side.
He has had his lower teeth removed recently and this could have something to do with it. (It’s the reason I can’t ride)

The mare was always warm under her rug, which I tried to persuade her to enjoy going out. She had been bred in Germany and wasn't imported here until she was 12 and I always assumed that she was used to being barned in winter. We used to joke about her wanting a waterproof hat but actually when she got a full neck rug, she was as happy as Larry. It really didn't matter what weight the rug was. But of course, I remember having a tooth out and going to a funeral (so couldn't just stay inside in the warmth) with a scarf across my mouth. Cold air on 'damaged' gums can be very sore.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The mare was always warm under her rug, which I tried to persuade her to enjoy going out. She had been bred in Germany and wasn't imported here until she was 12 and I always assumed that she was used to being barned in winter. We used to joke about her wanting a waterproof hat but actually when she got a full neck rug, she was as happy as Larry. It really didn't matter what weight the rug was. But of course, I remember having a tooth out and going to a funeral (so couldn't just stay inside in the warmth) with a scarf across my mouth. Cold air on 'damaged' gums can be very sore.
Same! It’s a horrible thing and his removal was really quite traumatic. It’s been about a fortnight now, mine still hurt after that time and that was one straight forward tooth
That’s a really good point actually